Thursday, August 10, 2006

Pre-Worlds (Day 4)

Many pilots complained yesterday that the tasks were too wimpy. So the task committee (Bubba, Davis, and I), gave them a chore today. We couldn’t decide between a 162 mile crossing down wind dog leg to the northwest and then northeast or a 99 mile triangle where every leg was at least crosswind and the trip home was cross upwind into a 13 mph headwind so we let the pilots decide at the morning meeting. The triangle won by a large margin. Dave also tried a race start for the top 30 pilots and while everyone else had the choice of three starts.

I had a long wait on launch since I didn’t beat the priority pilots into the launch line. I waited while all 15 stepped into line in front of me. I was finally deposited to the northwest of the airport in a weak climb. It wasn’t exactly where I wanted to be, but it worked out ok. I, like most pilots, took the same start as the top 30 pilots. Unlike my previous two outings, I maintained a reasonable pace. I synced up with Bubba and Bo near the first turn point at the end of the crossing downwind leg. I started moving quicker on the second crosswind leg by going off course line and using the clouds to mark the best lift. I was about half through that leg when I spotted a large dust devil ahead. I got on the radio to announce my position to our driver Beth and said I was heading to a large dust devil. About 3 seconds later I saw a parachute inflate with a glider hanging below it. I got back on the radio and told the other pilots and Beth about the deployment while watching the pilot descend into a large cotton field. Mike gave directions to Beth who drove to the field to ensure the pilot was ok. (We saw the pilot gather up the parachute which was a very good sign).

After all that excitement, I decided to skip the dust devil and found a tamer climb to the east. The course line went over some scrub areas I didn’t want to land in but I never got low enough to be worried. I moved quickly through that area and rounded the second turn point and started the crossing upwind leg of the triangle. I let several pilots get ahead of me when they “cut the corner” heading to a line of clouds. I was sure they would be punished for gliding into the blue, but we all arrived at our next climbs at the roughly the same altitude; except they were now a climb ahead of me. I quickly zipped to cloud base and then cruised down the cloud street towards Big Spring. That line of clouds made the difference between a tiring task and a gruesome task. I glided under the clouds making good progress upwind until I made my second memorable mistake of the flight. Instead of staying on the east side of the cloud line, I pushed to the west side towards another line of clouds that was forming on course line. Instead of lift I got slammed with sink and 4 pilots that were behind me got in front. From there I picked a gentle curve towards the airport that passed under several newly forming clouds. I was surprised at how much altitude I lost gliding into the airport, but my safety reserve allowed me to cross over the goal line with more than enough altitude.

Several very good pilots came up very short of the goal line today, including Bubba. I feel for you bro.

Although I flew for more than 5 hours, I think the strong air and fast glides required more effort than usual. I doubt I will have any trouble falling asleep tonight!

No comments: