Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Pre-Worlds (Day 3)

Once again the weather forecasts did not align; some calling for widespread showers and thunderstorms while others predicted mostly sunny. The primary task was another crossing downwind task to the airport at Brownfield we flew to on the first day and another shorter but more crosswind task to Gaines. Cummies started forming after 11:00 and it started looking like any fears of rain were unfounded.

I launched about 45 minutes before the first start gate and got a quick enjoyable “home town tow” behind Rhett right toa climb. I was in a good position to take the first start, but decided to let the day develop more. I also passed on the second gate since the pilots further on course did not impress me. I was not in a good position for the third start so I took the final fourth start gate. I had a good start and stopped for a relatively weak climb after a long glide. I looked down and realized I was in the same spot I was 2 days ago when I lost 25 minutes in a weak climb. I decided to avoid that mistake and pushed on. I found a couple shots of lift that got me another 500 feet but eventually I had to turn around and flare. A few seconds later a dust devil blew through covering me with dust; I looked like I had been standing in that field for weeks. I tried to dust myself off, unhooked, looked up and saw a single surface glider passing overhead. Needless to say I was upset to be on the ground but why was the universe adding “insult to injury”?

Beth turned around and showed up with the truck just as I was zipping up the glider bag in the sweltering heat. We loaded up and drove to goal where almost all the other pilots were packing up. Everyone was talking about how good the lift was (many pilots had climbs of 1000 fpm or more) and how quickly they got to goal. Dang, not only did I essentially get zero points for the competition, I missed a really good flying day. Sigh.

I hope tomorrow is better.

(I included some pictures taken before the competition started.)

No comments: