Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Abducted

I had a full list of chores and business to complete on Monday when I was abducted by John, Lee, and Pete.  I was forced to go flying against my will.  They dragged me out kicking and screaming.  Well maybe not screaming.  Maybe not kicking either.  ;-)

The day had a lot of potential, but high cirrus blotted out the sun and smothered the early morning cues that Lee and Pete kept tempting me with.  By the time John and I arrived at 1:00, Jake and John were already on the ground after express sled rides to the hayfields below.  I was certain we could soar if our timing was right.  John and I rigged as pilot after pilot ran off launch and sank out.  Nick got above launch for a few seconds and gave Steve a good show for the video camera but then he also sank out.

Rhett, in his unusual harness, launched, climbed a bit, and started tormenting us with his best "sheep" call. (The hikers didn't understand the meaning but found it hilarious anyway!)





Rhett slowly sank out below but found a good climb low over the ski area.  I wasn't ready to go but pleaded for pilots to bail off and get above him in his climb.

Rhett was at cloud base and leaving the mountain when I stepped onto launch.  I found some broken lift and followed it around to the ski area.  I found just enough lift to keep me interested but not enough to maintain a steady climb.  I kept moving around the mountain, first to the west side of the ski area, then the ski area proper, then the east side, then further around to the northeast side of the mountain.  I found a strong 400 - 600 fpm (2.5 m/s) climb on the back side and circled to cloud base.  I watched Jim, Pete, and another pilot slowly climb towards me in front of the mountain.  After topping out at cloud base, I headed south to a climb near the river about the time John was launching.  I watched Jim and Pete come in below but miss the climb.  I headed south along the high ground losing very little altitude.  I found another climb near the ox bow that allowed me to watch Jim and Pete land.  I scanned the sky for Rhett but could find him.  Meanwhile John announced he was on the ground out front of the mountain.  I decided to stay local and played around the valley finding broken lift even under the thick cirrus.  I eventually landed on the runway at Morningside after doing some high speed glides to "loosen up".

I found out later Rhett landed near the ice cream shop just short of Morningside.  Dang, why didn't I think of that!

Flights: 1, Time: 1:02, Distance: 9 miles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. Rhett BEAT you to the ice cream shoppe in a FALCON!!! You're losing your edge Man! :-) PK

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom

It was GREAT competing with you again. Sorry I had to leave without saying goodbye, but I got home in time to fly @ my clubs yearly event on sunday.
Cheers
Stephen DesRoches