Thursday, June 10, 2010

East Coast Championship Day 5

Day 4 of the East Coast Championship was rained out.  Some pilots went sightseeing, some shopping, some bowling, and I stayed at the airfield and did some work for a client.  I wanted to get away after working most of the day, so I talked Brian, Charlie, and Nick into visiting "In Japan" again to meet up with the gang that went bowling.



The weather forecast for today was much better than I expected so the task committee patched together a 73 mile (117 km) course downwind to the east, then crosswind to the south, then downwind to the southeast, then crosswind to the south, then landing at the Ocean City airport.

Although the forecast was good, reality was a bit different.  Thick cirrus moved in around noon and shaded the ground.  Some cumulus clouds formed when the launch window opened, but no one immediately launched.  About 30 minutes before the first start clock a group of pilots launched and almost landed before snagging a good climb right over the airfield.  They climbed to cloud base and took off.

I waited awhile and started the second wave when I walked up to launch at 1:55.  I had a nice long tow into the smooth air and was soon landing back at the airfield without hitting a single bump.  I now had to wait at the end of the line.  Another group of pilots found a climb and got away while I waited on the ground.  My turn to launch finally rolled around, but I snapped the weak link both on my shoulder and on the tug with a wicked slack tow line at 50 feet off the ground.  I quickly pulled in and landed running sideways in a strong crosswind.

By the time I was ready to go again, I was the last glider in line.  I had an uneventful tow and pinned off in a broken climb with Steve.  We climbed and eventually merged with Mitch.  Mitch and Steve raced off as I stayed and climbed higher so I could round the first turn point with as much altitude as possible.

I snagged the first turn point and had a long uneventful glide down to a 1000 feet (300 m) when I glided into a weak climb.  I drifted off course line but never really gained much altitude.  I soared a tree line a bit before landing in a large recently disced field next to a paved road.





I was very short of goal, but I later found out so were many other pilots.  Today's scores are available online.

Flights: 3, Duration: 1:28, Distance: 23.7 miles

No comments: