Thursday, June 09, 2011

East Coast Championship - Day 5

We agonized over the conflicting weather predictions during the task committee meeting this morning.  It was given it would be uncomfortably hot (100+ F, 38+ C) and humid.  The weather models we use predicted sunny skies, weak lift, and relatively low top of climbs.  However, they differed on the direction and strength of the wind.  The wind might vary in speed from a leisurely 10 mph (16 k/h) to a brisk 26 mph (42 k/h).  We also had limited course selections with the wind direction.  We finally decided on a 78.7 km (49 mile) triangle for the open class and a 34.7 km (22 mile) downwind task for the sport class.

Miraculously cumulus started forming as we cooled off in the pool before launching.  We were even more surprised when we burst through into cooler air and climbed to 6000 feet (1800 m).  I prepared to take the first start so I could complete as much of the course as possible before the wind scoured away the thermals and made it impossible to make progress upwind.  I was in a good position but turned back afraid the improving conditions would make it easier later.  Most of the other pilots made the same decision and turned back at the second start as well.  Finally I glided back to catch the next start time and headed out on course.

It was an easy and fun downwind trip to the first turn point where I took a few photos.



The joyride ended at the first turn point as we swung around into the increasing wind.


I made my second major mistake of the day when I made a short turn away from course line to a cloud building over a small town after gaining 1000 feet (300 m) over most of the lead gaggle on a long glide.  The cloud and the climb dissipated before I got there which put me at the bottom of the stack of the next climb the gaggle found.  I got pinched off from the lead pilots and then made my third major mistake of the day.  Instead of taking the altitude I had and pushing forward, I drifted back in a couple weak climbs with a few other pilots hoping the climb would increase with altitude.  They didn't and I ended up landing short of the second turn point which I could have easily reached when I first arrived.

I finally faced up to reality and pushed forward into the strong wind.  I landed in a bean field next to a major road and broke down my glider in the corner of Townsend Yerkes front yard.


Tyler and Townsend

Townsend and his son Tyler were very gracious to their uninvited guest.  I packed up and waited for Linda and the gang to show up.

I had an enjoyable day of flying but was disappointed in my strategic decision making process.  I "know" what the right thing to do is, but have trouble following through.  Oh well, live and hopefully learn!

Randy completed the sport class task and went on to land at the beach.  How cool is that on a hot day?


The results are available on Soaring Spot.

Flights: 1, Duration: 3:18, Distance: 30 miles

No comments: