Monday, July 18, 2011

Morningside Lives On

Morningside is open again!  The new owners, Kitty Hawk Kites, finalized the purchase on Friday and opened for business on Saturday.  (Impressive!)  Many local pilots, myself included, showed up to meet and welcome the new owners.

The website for Morningside, A Kitty Hawk Kites Flight Park, describes the services they offer.  They also posted a news blurb about opening day with many pictures.  Most of us were impressed with the new crew and I personally look forward to a long and rewarding relationship with my old new "home flight park".

After a lot of socializing, I decided to aero-tow given the total lack of wind and signs of lift.  Rodger started the parade of soaring pilots around 2pm.  Rhett towed PK, Al, and Nick up before dragging me into a weak climb to the north of the field.  I spent the rest of the afternoon soaring in abundant but weak blue thermals that dissipated around 3400 feet (1036m).

Morningside

All types of gliders from single surface floaters, to blade wings, to rigids, to sailplanes played around in the mellow air.  We watched a couple A-10s fly far below us as well as numerous small planes headed for the Claremont airport.

Randy with Rhett towing in the background

Nick

Sailplane and Claremont airport at the top of the picture

PK

Rhett

Meanwhile Greg and Jeff launched from Mount Ascutney and were flying at cloud base around 6500 feet (1900 m) further to the west over the higher terrain.  PK and I unsuccessfully tried several times to get into the better thermals, but never had enough altitude to cross over the ridge line on the other side of the river valley.  I would return each time with just enough altitude to snag another thermal from the tree tops and start the slow climb again.

Clouds out of reach

On one return trip, I soared over the 450 foot (137 m) launch at Morningside with Randy and Rodger before Randy and I dug into a good climb that finally took us over 4500 feet (1370 m).  I momentarily thought about gliding south to see how far I could get, but decided to float off my altitude and land at the bullseye and socialize more.

Randy, Rodger, and I stopped for Thai food and ice cream in Keene NH on the way home.  The world seemed a little more "normal" now that gliders were flying at Morningside once again.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:45

No comments: