Thursday, July 05, 2012

Get in Your Bag and Go

Allen, Peter, Randy, and I had high hopes for Tuesday at the Mohawk Trail in western Massachusetts.  Although I joked about joining other pilots at Mount Ascutney to the north, we settled on a plan to fly back along Route 2 towards home.

It was blowing stronger than forecasted when we arrived at launch.  It wasn't a problem for launching or soaring, but would be for landing in the valley 700 feet (200m) below.  Since the forecast predicted diminishing winds, we rigged and waited.

Like Goldilocks' porridge that was either too hard hot or too cold, our wind was either too strong or too light.  Thermals blocking the wind produced non-soarable conditions only to be replaced by hang-on-to-your-hat blasts when those thermals passed through.  As the day wore on and thick cirrus strangled thermal development, the light non-soarable conditions started to dominate.  Conditions switched so quickly that Peter, the first pilot to launch, struggled to get above the ridge and warned the rest of us to "stay on the ground" before he settled into the "less than desirable" bailout LZ directly below us.

Unimpressed by Peter's performance, we decided to wait for the sun to warm launch and the western flanks of the valley before placing our bet.  We were unprepared when the last good blast of the day blew through and missed our ride out.  The wind became so light I could set my glider down facing into the wind on launch.  Sigh.

A hiker sat down next to us and got ready for some action.  My video camera timed out; repeatedly.  I waited.  I waited some more.  We scanned trees for any sign of thermal activity.  (I was waiting for a sign but realized that maybe I was getting that sign; don't fly!)  Our new impatient friend wanted to see a hang glider launch.  She told me to "Get in your bag and go!"  I just had to laugh.  A moment later Allen spotted a bird fly past, turn, and then climb a little.  That was the sign I was looking for.

There was something there, but it was small and weak.  I was well below launch before I found it and started wiggling back and forth in the buoyant air.  I slowly rose to launch height and finally high enough to complete a full circle.  Once I was clear, Randy ran off and started sipping the same stream of rising air.  We gingerly circled in the weak climb together.  I waved to Peter when he made it back to my car on top before moving south to the taller part of the ridge.  

Northeast

Southeast

I enjoyed the weak little climbs originating in the valley below once I escaped the unpleasant bail-out LZ.  It was odd thermaling under an overcast sky.

Randy

Randy

North Adams

Allen decided not to fly.  I saw him and Peter drive by on their way to The Range, where Randy, and then I, landed in perfectly calm conditions.

Allen and Peter

We stopped for ice cream before heading east to Greenfield for a late dinner.  The pilots at Ascutney were also greeted with stronger than expected wind, but had better conditions than we did later in the afternoon.  We also found out on the way home that Dustin Martin and Jonny Durand set a new distance world record that very afternoon.  Randy suggested we donated or sacrificed our flight karma for them.  Whatever, it is humbling to think we flew 3 miles when they flew 475 in Texas.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:32

No comments: