Monday, August 06, 2012

Big Spring - Day 2

I had an easy morning since I made it into goal and into hanger on the first day.  I chatted with the pilots that landed out as they rigged.

"Chilling" in the hanger

Dave Proctor

The task was a 80.7 mile (130 km) dogleg north-northwest to an intersection and then northwest to an airfield at Brownfield.


We used assigned staging positions which helped avoid the stress (and heat) of racing to the staging area.

Zak

I had a sweet tow behind Zak and was on my way.


The flight was typical Texas flying with a scenic turn-point at an intersection in a "canyon".  I made two decisions near that turn point that cost me points, but was never close to landing out.  The only fly-in-the-ointment was the final glide into goal.  I had extra altitude I could have turned into speed but watched a 1500 foot (500m) dust devil form just upwind and slightly beyond the goal field.  Intuition told me I would be landing just about the time the dusty reached the LZ.  Being the cautious type, I slowed up and let the whirling tower blow by the field before landing.


Most competitors made goal, including all of my retrieve crew.  We continued the high-fives at dinner in Lamesa before heading back to Big Spring.

Scores for the day are available on Soaring Spot.

Flights: 1, Duration: 3:31, Distance: 80.9 miles

No comments: