Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Final Exam

Many students start their school year about now.  My flight on Labor Day felt like a final exam for this year's flying season.

Peter stopped by and snatched me before stopping near Gardner to pick up JJ on his way to Mount Greylock in western Massachusetts.  We meet Al, Brooks, Doug, and Jeff at the LZ before dodging runners racing to the top of the mountain.

The wind, if any, was forecasted to switch from the desirable east-southeast, to the crossing south, and then to the un-launchable over-the-back southwest.  We were happy to see the wind blowing straight-in and delighted to feel a real breeze instead of the usual trickle.  I rigged as swiftly as possible while still managing a quick hello to many friends.

My trusty steed.

Doug

Al (Don't ask!)

John answering questions while getting ready.

Time to mount up.

The first paraglider to launch bobbed around the mountain top, never got high, but wasn't sinking out.   Good enough for me!  With Peter, JJ's, and Gary's help, I waded through the crowd and was the first hang glider to run into the air.

The flight was a series of 3 or 4 cycles where I: fly around launch, slowly sink out when high clouds drift overhead blocking the sun, fight for every bit of lift with a dozen other pilots until forced to fly into the valley to the LZ, snag a weak climb drifting away from the field back to ridge-height downwind of launch, breathe a sigh of relief, fly back to launch, and repeat.  I would lose most of my flying buddies at the low point of each cycle but would pick up a new batch when I got back up.

Some pilots don't like a day like that but I loved it.  I had to be efficient, a bit daring in the climbs near the tress, and nimble flying through the maze of darting pilots.

JJ was one of the pilots that succumbed to the first flush cycle and volunteered to hike back up the mountain to drive Peter's truck down.  A one point he announced on the radio he could hear my vario; sure enough I looked down and could see JJ waving back.

After buzzing launch a few times and showing off to motorcyclists parked along the road to the top, I flew northeast to the LZ at the miniature golf course called The Range.

LZ at The Range

Looking northeast towards the Mohawk Trail

After landing on the nice manicured lawn I walked over to where Brooks, Matt, and Peter were packing up.

Peter

Brooks

Doug, JJ, and Jeff soon showed up and after a quick ice cream bar and a short debriefing we were on our way home.  I don't know if I passed or not, but it sure felt like I had just completed a through final exam on low saves and hillside scratching.

Update:  Several pilots posted videos from their flights.





Flights: 1, Duration: 2:31

1 comment:

Jeff Curtis said...

Nice flying, I'm glad you came out to play. I got in just over an hour and managed 1 cycle instead of 3 or 4 but it was a fun day for me too.