Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men

The car was packed and ready for the East Coast Championship at Highland Aerosports last Saturday morning when a nasty flu struck without warning.  I watched my one chance for competition flying fade away as I suffered both physically and emotionally.  Since it was raining at Highland, I consoled myself by thinking I could leave the following morning and not miss anything.  I had the same depressing internal conversation again on Sunday and Monday morning.  Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

I started feeling a bit better by Tuesday evening so when Peter called on Wednesday morning I was ready for some consolation flying at Morningside Flight Park even if not fully recovered.

I almost sank out after releasing from tow before finding a climb at the end of the runway.  The climb was slow, but gave me plenty of time to keep an eye on Peter far above.

Peter (tiny spec near the center)

I also studied the weather system that soaked most of the eastern seaboard for several days pulling away to the east.

Peter was still waiting when I topped out and stayed behind as I headed upwind to the northwest for another long climb.

Morningside (lower center)

Claremont (from 1800 m / 6000 ft)

After flying around Claremont, I wondered back towards Morningside only to find that everyone else had landed.


As I slowly lost altitude gliding around, I hosted my own little pity party; whining to myself about how I just missed my only chance at a comp this year.  I glided off most of my altitude but didn't want to land just yet.  I found a tiny weak climb over Morningside (0.15 m/s, 30 fpm) that delayed the inevitable.  It was so buttery smooth, I rested by chin on the base bar for most of the climb.


The slow lazy climb gave me enough time to let go of my plans to race across the sky and enjoy the peaceful reflective day I was experiencing.  Such are the best laid plans of mice and men.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:17

No comments: