Wednesday, April 02, 2014

False Start

Although the weather wasn't great (no clouds, low top-of-climb), I didn't have a driver (Amy was visiting a friend in Orlando), and no one else was interested, I still hoped to fly cross-country.  Linda offered to pick Mitch and I up after she finished flying for the day, but Mitch was not enthused.

I pinned off low after slamming into a thermal that was close to throwing me off tow anyway.  I spun up to the top floor that was already occupied by a few others.



I was at the northern edge of a safe glide back when I asked if anyone was interested joining me for a little XC adventure.  Mitch, who was just above and behind me, replied "I'm right with you!"  I interpreted that as "Lets go do this together" and proceeded to zoom off to the northwest.  It wasn't until I was low and looked back did I realize he had turned around.  Sigh.  Since my only potential ride was connected with Mitch I decided turn around as well.  I found a climb drifting away and worked my way back upwind.

I spent the afternoon playing in the sky with friends, birds, and aircraft associated with Sun 'n Fun in nearby Lakeland.  I don't know if it was associated with the air show or not, but I had a large airliner fly under me as it flew directly northeast along Route 4.

White object below my forearm is a large aircraft

Although the air was pleasant, I bagged the idea of being the last to land.  I flew north to wave goodbye to Rick in his Stalker and then took a long glide and climb to the south to wave goodbye to Mitch.

Stressful climb  ;-)



Mitch

I flew back to the ranch via a wire-singing high-speed glide.  Everything was blissfully easy until I watched the wind in the LZ swing from east-southeast to the north as I setup my approach.  I should have landed along the western runway that faces north-northeast, but I was afraid the wind would switch back to the east-southeast causing me to land downwind.  Instead I landed to the northeast end of the field, but too close to the tree line.  I ended up plopping on my stomach as I ran out of airspeed in the rotor just as I started to flare.  At least I landed in front of, and to the amusement of, a large group of pilots.  Sigh.

Here is a short video from the day.



Flights: 1, Duration: 2:41

No comments: