Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Solitude

The best thing about the forecast for today at Wellfleet was it might be soarable.  Most of the usual addicts were passing, but with frigid arctic temperatures arriving later in the week, I decided the risk of sledders at the beach was worth it.

Fearing winds might be too light, I was surprised to see an ocean decorated with white caps when I arrived to an empty parking lot shortly after 9am.  It was probably soarable, but I wasn't totally sure.  I texted to the social media groups "whitecaps" and started layering on clothing, turning on electronics, and unpacking my wing.

I couldn't control my rosetted wing on the cliff edge, so I quickly decided to launch from the path near the beach at the bottom.  I pulled the wing up without any drama, turned and stepped into the air.  I immediately got ready to shave the dune, but realized the air was going up everywhere.  It was probably the easiest climb-out from the bottom I've ever had.

The wind was strong, probably 26 kph or more, and about 50 degrees cross so I stayed upwind; mostly over the beach or even at the surf line.  The air was anything but smooth; thermals were lifting off the warmer water providing 1 m/s climbs well beyond the surf line.  I played slowly flying upwind into the climbs while watching the sun create a mesmerizing dance of brilliant sparks as it passed through the blue sky and white clouds onto the dark ocean and then back up to me.

I spied a vehicle pull into the parking lot so I went to investigate.  I saw John G get out and point his cellphone at me as I flew by.  I just knew he was going to post to social media and the solitary day of flying would soon be over.  Oh well, the company would also be nice.

As expected the thermals were accompanied by sink and higher gusts.  For awhile the gusts would halt my forward speed for a moment and then I would continue onward usually through sink.  However, one gust pushed me backward at 4 - 6 kph long enough to get my attention.  The next gust pushed me backward at 11 kph for much longer than I was comfortable with so I returned to launch and landed on the beach below.

Another 2 vehicles soon pulled in and the party started.  John's beach wing flies much faster than mine, so we helped him launch and then helped Matt launch his new mini-wing for its maiden flight.  I was giving Ned a site intro when Matt sank out and reported the winds were getting lighter.  We dragged out our gear and hiked down to launch from the path below.  I was explaining how to launch from the path when I decided it would be easier to just demonstrate the technique.  I pulled up and again quickly floated up above the dune.  I briefly soared and then landed next to Ned showing one possible approach pattern.  Any questions?  ;-)

John G was coming down to help pilots launch so I walked part way up and took off again.

The forecast predicted the winds to slowly swing from north-northeast to the east and drop below soarable speeds.  Since Aton and Steve were interested in flying to Nauset Light to the south, I thought we should go before it got too late.  I signaled my intention and off we went; Aton in front and Steve behind.

Nauset Light.  Photo courtesy Stephen Verbeek.

Aton and Tom heading back.  Photo courtesy Stephen Verbeek. 

The trip south was fast and uneventful.  Our ground speed was more typical hang glider speed than paraglider speed.  However, that quickly changed as we turned around to head back north.  I really enjoyed the return trip since it became challenging as the wind was still crossing but the velocity was dropping.  The dunes north of Marconi Beach are low and tough to soar in light winds.  We all managed to tip-toe through that area and reached the higher dunes at the Marconi Wireless Station.  Aton played in the better lift as Steve and I arrived.  I kept pushing on fearing the wind would die.  Aton made one too many S-turns trying not to overrun me and ended up landing.  I thought I was done as well, but just managed to hang on until I got past Lecount Hollow Beach where I found enough lift to get back above the top of the dune.  Steve landed just before that good section.

Photo courtesy Stephen Verbeek

I joined a small crowd around launch and continued north.  I turned at the Beachcomber and was surprised to see everyone behind me on the ground.  Eek.  I turned around to stock up on altitude when I saw John coming at me from the north.  I turned south again with a comfortable altitude and watched John speed by below me.  The cool factor faded when John slowed and climbed in front of me.  I was now too low to turn around but sitting right in his wake dealing with tiny collapses as I dodged branches and pipes sticking out from the dune!  I was able to slow just enough to make a quick figure-8 and still keep my feet off the ground.  I blew past launch and a possible top landing when I saw my potential LZ filled with cars. Instead I landed at the base of the path, the last to land.

I talked, at a distance, with Nancy as pilots waited for the wind to pick up.  The wind never did return and soon even kiting was impossible.  I slowly packed up, said good-by and started driving home.  Snow started falling before I left the cape and the highway was covered by the time I was half-way home.  As I pulled into the garage and looked at the winter wonderland through the rear window I was briefly transported back to my glittering morning solitude in the air over the ocean.  The risk of sledders, at least this time, was worth it.

You can review the flights online at flight 1, flight 2, flight 3.

1 comment:

StephenV said...

Turned out to be a pretty decent day, Tom! At least four times I was hot on your tail only to turn 180 to maintain distance. Glad you made it back from Nauset- I came up about a 1/4 mile short and landed nearly on top of a beach umbrella base hiding in the sand.