Thursday, April 28, 2005

Florida Ridge: Day Three

Everyone was ready to fly this morning, but the wind started picking up and you could tell pilots were concerned by the way the talked and kept looking up whenever a gust would come through. However, Davis was convinced the winds would back down later in the day and they did. The task committee called for a late 3:00 start and a funky course to the southwest, then to the northwest, then back to the first turn point, and then to a small airport to the south. Although the wind backed down, there were no signs of lift in the blue and no one wanted to go first. Finally some of us got bored and launched.

My first climb was amazingly good, good enough that I thermalled up while stowing my tow line. I was in a thermal with Oleg, Scott, another flex wing and a rigid wing. I missed the next climb just as the start window opened. I found another climb and was ready for the second and last start gate. It would have been nice to fly with Oleg and Scott since the people that joined me, with the exception of Campbell, followed but didn't help search. I got low at the first turn point and passed Oleg coming back. Ouch.

I headed out to the second turn point low over nothing but orange groves. I prepared a landing technique for orange groves as I groveled low towards the second turn point. I found a reasonable climb and several other pilots behind me joined in. We got high at the second turn point and headed back to the third (first) turn point. I stayed on course line while everyone else veered to the north. I found a sweet smooth 500 fpm climb that let me shake everyone except Campbell. I got down to 600 after rounding the third turn point and once again had to venture over the orange groves to snag a climb.

I went on final glide with the machine saying I had it by 400 feet. It sure didn't look like I had it, but the machine kept sticking with 400 feet. I kept hearing Mike Barber (in his Star Wars "use the force" voice) saying "trust the machine, Tom". I was getting concerned about landing short in the swamp when I spotted a couple of birds crossing my path heading to a circling buzzard to my right. Once again I heard Mike say, "don't follow the birds", but I did. I should have listened. The bird stopped circling and moved on. Now I was too far away and sinking fast. I called Monica on the radio as I got below the top of the cell tower next to my intended LZ. Right after Monica confirmed my message I found a weak bubble that finally got me high enough to make another attempt. This time I left with -40 showing on the machine. I guess I was fed up! I made it in with just enough altitude to snag the goal and swing around and land.

I was the second flex wing in for the day behind Oleg, but lost a lot of points for following the birds. I lost 24 minutes that I probably didn't need to lose. Another lesson relearned.

No comments: