Thursday, April 21, 2005

Flytec Meet: Day Seven: Cruise Around the Swamp

We flew around the Green Swamp today. I predicted the task at breakfast this morning since the winds were light, the lift good, and little chance of thunderstorms. I launched early and was soon floating around at cloudbase. I decided to check out the rigid wings waiting for their first start gate. After flying with the "boards" I flew back to the flexie start circle and just enjoyed the sweet air. Many pilots took the first start since the task was going to be long. The climbs and glides were straightforward until I noticed rain falling from a large dark series of clouds past the first turnpoint. I decided I should top out my climbs to ensure a safe run through any possible rain. That was a mistake since that was the only rain I saw all day. I had a slow climb at the second turnpoint and then blazed through the next leg flying right over the swamp dashing from cloud to cloud. I lead the pack to an old cloud that looked like it still might work. Since I was first, I spent some time finding the lift and lost about 1000 feet on the pilots following me. I found a good climb and everyone else immediately joined me. However, after about 5 turns the lift evaporated leaving me low. The rest of the gaggle was high enough to climb for another 5 minutes and moved on. They left me all alone without a climb. I fished around for a long time before getting another good climb. My then the day was dying so I topped out and went on final glide from 14 miles out. I had positive numbers to goal and some drying clouds overhead. However, I lost too much altitude and was stuck 3 miles short of goal. I lost some more altitude before finding a small bubble that I worked on for what seemed like enternity. I finally headed into goal just as John snuck in low.

Ollie made goal today but Mark landed early. Looks like tomorrow is another flying day. I need a rest day!

No comments: