Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Flytec Meet: Day Five: Shifting Gears

It was a new day, but the forecast was similar to the last two days. The wind is a few degrees south instead of north of east, it was a few degrees warmer, and there were a few less clouds. The task was an out-and-back to a turnpoint almost due south. Most of the pilots noticed the cirrus moving in around launch time so everyone was eager to get going early. I was the first in line with John Chambers behind me. I waited until someone behind me wanted to go then took off. The tow was bumpy and the climb out after release was quick. I headed upwind and soon found another climb under a developing cloud. I tried to be relaxed behind the start gate trying to avoid my tendancy to mess things up early in the flight. I got a good start reaching cloudbase just .5 miles outside the start circle. I headed back towards Quest at 2:28 to get the first start time at 2:30. I got my point inside the circle, turned around and was immediately face to face with 50 gliders coming right at me. Yikes! After dodging gliders the pack of gliders, I was one my way. The lift was strong so everyone was running hard and fast. We were approaching the turnpoint when I noticed the turnpoint was surrounded by swamp and a thick clump of cirrus was about to block out the sun. What is it with these turnpoints? I knew I should have stocked up on altitude, but I didn't want to lose the lead gaggle so I left a thermal before I should have. I rounded the turnpoint and headed back on course line very low. I missed a good climb and was left dragging my knuckles over the tree tops sniffing for a ride to cloud base. Several other pilots joined me in our slow and uncertain climb out of the swamp. The lift eventually turned on and we moved on only to see the ground littered with gliders. Many of the faster pilots that left me behind were now on the ground. Apparently they didn't slow up when the lift became weak and uncertain. I had another good climb and then went on a long slow glide to just south of the glider port. I let James know I might need a ride but found a shifty little thermal that kept me in the game. Other hang gliders and sailplanes in the area quickly converged on the spot. Several hang gliders failed to find the fickle lift and landed below us. Once again we struggled with weak lift until we got some altitude. We were still climbing when my numbers to goal were positive. I should have left, but wanted to do some high-speed gliding so I kept climbing. I was the last of the four to leave, but managed to pass them all on my way into goal. That was fun!

Mark made goal today, but Ollie and John landed short. Many good pilots landed out today or came in very late. Later in the evening Ollie, Mark, Peter, George, and I enjoyed some milkshakes in town before turning in for the night. (I like to have ice cream after making goal.)

No comments: