Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Flytec Meet: Day Four: Torture Chamber Turnpoint

We had a crosswind out-and-back to the Winter Haven airport today. The day looked very similar to yesterday with small quickly drying cummies forming to the east. The rigids launched and soon were all in the same gaggle over the field. I jumped in line for an early start and was soon at 4500 looking for somewhere to go. I headed down courseline and found another good climb and was soon joined by 50 of my closest friends. ;-) I almost pulled my now-famous start-gate bomb out when I crossed the start gate at 1600 feet. Although I was behind the lead gaggle, I did find a good climb that got me back in the game. I wanted to be upwind of the turnpoint so I headed southwest towards Wallaby Ranch. I saw several pilots struggling where I was low yesterday; I could feel their pain. I found a nice cloud line just north of the ranch that I worked to the east. Meanwhile Tove, who was 1000 below me, headed on course line. I had an easy trip to Route 27 and then down to Route 4. As I cross Route 4 I noticed Tove coming in below me by 1000 feet. So much for the round-about tatic.

I was about 10 miles out from the turnpoint when the evil-ness of the task committe became obvious. The turnpoint was the center of a busy airport that was surrounded by 3 large lakes, several housing developments, and a large swamp. At least the high cirrus was shutting down any remaining lift. Yikes! I tip-toed through the area and started catching up with some rigids. There were several gliders below me climbing slowly, but drifting away quickly. I wallowed for awhile and then decided to dive into the turnpoint and hope to find some of that weak lift on the way back. Just as I got the turn point, I noticed an eagle soaring at the southwest end of the runway. I quickly turned and soon was climbing away from the torture chamber. I continued to watch the suffering below me as I climbed out and then headed towards a slow climb over Fantasy of Flight. I joined Peter and Linda in a very slow climb as I waited for the cirrus to clear. Many pilots were now dropping out of the air. It was survival time. Every foot matters.

The climb eventually disappeared so a rigid and I moved on. We shared a couple more weak climbs until we crossed Deen Still Road. I watched John land below me as I finally got a good climb. The rigid faded upwind to the east, but I stayed directly over Route 33. My flight computer said I only need 800 feet to make goal, so I stayed directly on course line. I basically had a long glide from there to goal, with a few well placed turns in strong, but smooth lift. I tried hard to stay high in the smoother air.

I quickly showered and inhaled my dinner so I could board the bus to Hard Rock Live to see Bob's band Wezt. The show was excellent but too short. It was fun to see "Rock Star Bob" emerge from "Hang Gliding Bob"! I grabbed some ice cream on the way out and we headed back for some sleep to start all over again today.

No comments: