Monday, August 08, 2005

Cancelled

When I peeked out my motel window this morning the sky was clear for the first time since I arrived in Big Spring. I showered and packed my gear expecting a great day of comp flying. After loading up the truck I looked to the northwest and saw a towering cu-nim. I turned on the national weather service radio and immediately discovered that a special weather statement had been issued for the area north of Big Spring describing a thunderstorm with torrential downpours. At least the radio statement said the storms were moving to the southeast and away from us.

Although there were mid and high level clouds to the northeast and east it didn’t look too bad by the time we had the pilot’s meeting at 11. The task was a trip north, then northwest, and then northeast to the airport at Lamesa. The task committee wanted us to get going early so the rigid wing launch was scheduled for 12:00 and the flex wing launch at 12:30. Unlike previous days, we were going to launch south of all the buildings along the runway. That meant a long “enjoyable” hike down the hot runway. There was general confusion since the pilots didn’t know where to stage their gliders. After about half of the gliders were in place, we had to move then again further south to a field along the runway. Although there was some complaining, most pilots just grumbled and moved their gliders. Aside from the thorns, biting ants, heat, humidity, and the prairie dog holes it wasn’t bad.

Around noon the task committee moved everything back 30 minutes, probably due to the lack of cummies. However, clouds appeared as the rigid wings started launching. “Appeared” doesn’t really describe what happened. The clouds seemed to explode onto the sky. They also grew with shocking quickness and height. Claire pointed out a cap forming over one cloud that rocketed skyward. I didn’t want to be stuck on the ground if scattered showers started appearing, especially over the airport, so I quickly threw on my gear and moved into line. Several of us regular early launchers, including Bo and Kevin, were soon being dragged upward. It only took about 20 seconds of towing to realize the air was alive. Unlike the previous days, this tow required full attention. I released, started turning, and was soon climbing at 500 fpm.

I could see rain falling to the northeast and to the southeast as I climbed to cloud base. I also saw the prettiest cloud street leading right to the first turn point. Dang, I had to wait an hour and twenty minutes before I could start. I was climbing to cloud base and then moving upwind. As the sky got more crowded I also went to the start circle and back and to the west and back. I still had more time to kill. One cloud had dangerous cloud suck that tried its best to devour me twice before I left the entire area. Meanwhile the rain to the northeast grew in size and I started noticing lightning bolts. I began pointing out the deteriorating conditions to Dave on the radio. He was also concerned. A little later I noticed rain directly on course line and an increase in the lightning activity to the northeast. I finally asked Julie if anyone was thinking about canceling the task. I was still ready to do the task, but I have seen days cancelled for a lot less than what I was seeing. Julie talked with David and said she would get back to me if something changed.

The start window finally opened before I got an answer, so I started the task. Dave and I both headed northwest off course line to stay clear of the rain and the growing thunderstorm. I connected with a good climb marked by two other pilots in front of me. I quickly climbed to cloud base while a large gaggle formed below me. I pushed on to the north trying to visually identify the first turn point. At five miles out it looked like the turn point was in the rain; it definitely was under an ugly thunderstorm shelf. About that time one of the two or three pilots in front of me turned around and headed back past me. Um, that’s strange. We were too far on course for someone to be going back for a later start. I got on the radio stating that I just saw a pilot turn around and openly wondered if the task was being cancelled. Just about that time David got on our frequency and announced that the day was cancelled. I was not unhappy to hear that.

Now I had to get back home. I was too far downwind to fly back to the airport with a single glide with the altitude I had. I continued on for another half-mile to a pair of birds that were climbing. I could see clouds forming just east of me that were only half of my altitude. Also the shelf was getting larger and closer. Once near base I quickly raced back towards Big Spring. I kept looking for signs of a gust front on the lakes below and in front of me. I also wondered what being struck by lightning in a hang glider looked like. I found another strong climb that gave me a positive glide back to the airport with some altitude to spare.

Dave got on the radio and said he was landing in a field just outside of town. I watched him land and then hopped on the radio to give Julie directions to his field. However, Dave said he could get a ride with the other pilot that landed just before him so Julie didn’t have to leave.

I did my best “dive into goal” run to the airport. I passed under several pilots that were still circling and wondered why they were still climbing. I saw a swarm of gliders over the airport circling down and waiting for their chance to land. I also noticed that everyone was landing to the south of the hanger. Since I wanted to avoid any possible gust front, I decided to skip the “slowly circle down” step. I opened my harness, spread my legs, rocked up, released the VG, and flew as fast as I could. I came down as fast as a Falcon on a speed glide run. I came in straight over the west side of the hanger, did a single pass across the runway, did a large turn back to the southwest and landed just north of the hanger. I was in the hanger before many of the other pilots were even on the ground.

A few unlucky pilots landed just as the gust front reached the airport. Some of those pilots were repairing gliders this afternoon. Several other pilots landed after the gust front passed in strong, but mostly laminar, air. Dustin even pulled off a nice “soar the buildings” beach style landing.

I had a fun, interesting, and invigorating flight today even though we didn’t complete a task. After everything was tucked away in the hanger I joined some pilots for a late lunch (or early dinner) and then drove around the hills outside town with Julie and Dave. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harrowing !



Rob

Anonymous said...

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring." THAT is so cool. We're waiting for episode III.

Rodger

Anonymous said...

As you would say.... "Holy Crap!"
PK

Tom Lanning said...

I actually enjoyed the flight and weather conditions. It was like our dancing around and through the fire at Camp Rob. It is fun and challenging, but dangerous if you are not careful.