Saturday, August 06, 2005

Big Spring Warmup

The NWS was calling for a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms today. I wanted a short warmup flight today so I headed to the airport early to beat the rain. Bubba and I wiggled our gliders out of the hanger and, in turn, we hooked up behind Neil and were pulled up under low building cummies. I floated about the airport for about an hour checking out my glider, the surrounding fields, and the prairie dogs below. Satisfied with my warmup flight I tucked my glider back into the hanger just as everyone else began pushing out. I spent the rest of the day helping people tune their equipment, helping on the launch line, taking pictures, and most importantlyThe NWS forecast included a 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms today. I wanted to take a getting ice cream with Dave and Julie at Dairy Queen. People flew all day until the first pilot's meeting at 5pm.

At the meeting we were served a very nice meal and were welcomed by town dignitaries such as the mayor, airport manager, and city council members. Once again the support from the town of Big Spring was overwhelming and heartwarming.

We meet at 9:30 tomorrow morning and then will have our first competition task. Let the games begin!

No comments: