Saturday, August 13, 2005

Ready, Set, Stop

Today was the last day for the 2005 Big Spring Open. I didn’t think we would fly today until I saw a decent clearing line form upwind to the south of us. For a short time I thought we might have a fun day of flying. However, 40 minutes later towering cumulus clouds formed wherever the sun hit the ground. I watched the same thing happen to the southwest when some sun finally appeared there.

The task committee did the best they could and called a short barbeque task to Lamesa so we could be back in time for the awards ceremony and party this evening. Some pilots, such as Larry, simply packed up their gliders and left. Some, such as Dave and Ron left their gliders in the bag waiting to see what else develops. The rest of the pilots, me included, started preparing for another comp day, but in slow motion. Some pilots would scold anyone that appeared to be moving their glider towards the staging area. Everyone knew that if anyone started walking down the runway to stage, everyone else would be forced to follow suit. After much delay Davis started down the runway and soon after the stampede started.

The sky eventually cleared overhead and the rigid wings, after a delay, took to the sky. We flex wing pilots stood around and watched them struggle to stay in the air. We also watched the wind mills to the southeast stop turning, small cummies form overhead, and big cummies explode to the south and southeast. Once again anyone making a move for their glider was greeted with “don’t do it!” from the other pilots. However, once a couple of rigid wing pilots started climbing instead of maintaining, a launch line quickly formed and the game begun.

I knew we would have a small window of opportunity between stable and explosive, so I tried to carefully pick my place in line. I forgot that the top 10 ranked pilots could move into line at will. I think all 10 stepped in between me and the front of the line. I was afraid I was going to be too late. As I lay in my harness looking at the quickly building clouds I noticed that the wind mills were now spinning rapidly. Um, that is odd. I then realized that the outflow from one of the towering clouds was heading our way. I started passing the word up and down the line. The launch was put on hold while Dave checked with the tug pilots. The tug pilots reported a wind shift above and it became more and more apparent that foul air was heading our way. Several pilots in front of me stepped out of line and started heading to the hanger with the carts! I pulled out and pulled a little forward, but stayed close to the launch line. A few minutes later, Dave cancelled the day. Michael, who decided early to skip the day, walked with me as I quickly rolled back to the hanger.

I was lucky to have the cart and a good protected spot to break down. Some other pilots had to struggle with their gliders and were breaking down outside when the gust front and rain hit. Luckily, most pilots had their gliders behind the hanger or partially disassembled before it got ugly. Meanwhile, the few pilots in the air were trying their best to get down. I heard that most of the pilots were back on the ground before the gust front arrived. Dustin, however, wasn’t so lucky. He said he noticed the wind pick up on the surface and decided to skip the washing-machine landing and decided to out run the front. He found a good 700fpm climb and then started heading away. He said clouds were forming below and slightly in front of him as he was running. He finally ended up with a good landing at the intended goal in Lamesa. Kevin dashed out with Rob’s truck and brought him back just in time for the dinner.

We had the awards ceremony in someone’s backyard at the edge of town. Once it again it shows how welcoming the people in Big Spring are. Would you open your home and host a party for a large group of strangers? That is exactly what this couple did! I wish I could remember their names. They provided us with snacks and sandwiches, drinks, a live band, and a nice cushy yard. Thank-you!

We had the typically informal awards presentation followed by more music and dancing. One pilot even wrote and sang a song about the competition that had everyone laughing and singing along. I said goodbye to as many of my friends as I could before heading to the truck with Linda and Mark for our leisurely 32 hour non-stop drive home.

No comments: