Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Summer Sledding

I was enjoying a rare morning of sleeping in Sunday when I got a call from Rodger. Although I was still half asleep, I think he said it’s going to be a good flying day and I was invited. I wanted to pass on the offer since the forecast I saw the previous night was not exciting, especially the 95F heat and very high humidity. However that little voice in my head that keeps getting me in trouble with the family took control of my body and said, “Sure”. Oh, I had about 15 minutes to dress, pack the gear, and, and grab some breakfast.

The day looked surprisingly good as we drove north to Mount Ascutney and it didn’t seem hot in Rodger’s air-conditioned truck. The death march into launch wasn’t as bad as I feared and we were greeted with a firm breeze blowing straight in. Rodger and I wondered if we were about to receive an awesome gift day while everyone else cowered inside to avoid the oppressive heat. The signs were all there; good looking clouds overhead, wind blowing in the right direction for a flight down the river valley, no launch crew, no idea how we were going to get the truck down the mountain, and no a driver. Yep, we were going far today!

Some innocent but crazy people showed up at launch while we were rigging (see picture). I know they were insane; who else would hike up a mountain in such heat? Although I questioned their sanity, they seemed nice and even agreed to help us launch. I didn’t want to keep them waiting so I launched around 12:30. I also didn’t want them work too hard so I waited for a lull to launch. In hindsight, I should have taken one of the strong cycles. I got above launch for brief moment and then lost it. I decided to fly across the front of the mountain and could barely keep things organized. (I was thanking Gerolf for worrying about stability when he designed my glider!). It took me a few minutes to realize that I was flying on the lee side of the mountain. By the time I wrestled the glider to the north side of the mountain, I was already low. I struggled for about 30 minutes but eventually tucked my tail between my legs and headed to a big LZ along a well-traveled road where I might hitch a ride back to the truck.

Rodger, seeing the folly of my ways, decided to wait a little longer. While I was breaking down and hiding my glider, Dave V showed up and rigged his glider. I started my 6 mile hike back around the mountain when Rodger told me he found a driver for the truck and it would be waiting at the bottom of the mountain. Whew, I least I wouldn’t have to hike up the mountain. I watched Rodger and then Dave launch, struggle, and then land as I continued my journey. Like me, they got some minor climbs but nothing to get them up and away. While they broke down I continued walking. I actually enjoyed the hike; I felt cool air cascade down the mountain side over clear streams, watched wild flowers in full riotous bloom sway in the breeze, and chased silly dogs back into their yards when they started chasing me. I was about ¾ of the way back when I finally got a ride from a couple guys heading to Rhode Island from the Ascutney Resort. A/C never felt so good.

Rodger’s truck arrived at the park entrance at the same time I did. I drove back around, picked up Rodger and Dave around 3pm, and then headed to Morningside for another late afternoon tow. I tossed the battens into the glider as fast as I could and popped into line after Tom Peghiny.

I managed a refreshing hour of airtime in weak thermals with Dave and Rodger before settling down on the little ridge at Morningside. I was playing back and forth on the ridge when a student dove into the air to get some of the sweet air. I just wish he hadn’t launched right at me! I let the other pilot have the ridge and moved away so I could lose altitude and land next to Rodger. The student pilot followed right along beside me. Sigh. I banked over in the other direction and dove away to set up a fast ground-skimming approach. As I turned onto my final the student once again flew into my flight path. I had enough at that point and decided to land across the road on the runway. I checked to ensure there were no cars coming but saw Rhett rolling down the runway with a glider in tow. Rhett would be gone before I got there, but I didn’t want to land in his wake. So once again I made another low turn and landed on the runway too far from the breakdown area on such a hot day.

I think I’ll mute the phone on the next hot hazy day when I think pilots might be calling.

Well … maybe not.

No comments: