Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Backcountry Tour

It was hard keeping my eyes open at 6-freak’n-o-clock in the morning as I stared at the computer screen. Jeff B had to make his work-or-fly decision early and wanted my opinion. It was an easy decision once I saw the thunderstorm icons for the next 5 days on the NWS forecast page and good lift on the Blipmap page. The only question for me was to foot-launch at Ascutney or aero-tow at Morningside. Ascutney’s high ground would certainly have better lift than the soggy valley around Morningside but the winds were predicted to swing from the NW to the SW during the day and might be too cross to comfortably launch at Ascutney during the best part of the day.

As usual, I tried to postpone my decision as long as possible. During my 2 hour drive north, I talked with Dennis who was struggling with the same decision. Jake, Jeff, John and Toni Z were definitely going to the mountain. I finally decided to aero-tow since I could at least get airborne and practice towing in mid-day conditions before heading to Big Spring for the pre-worlds next week. (Quit laughing; I know mid-day conditions in soggy New England are not comparable with arid Texas conditions).

Dennis, who also decided to tow, and I wondered if we chose the wrong launch as vigorous clouds drifted into launch over Ascutney as it remained completely blue overhead. However the die was cast and we would just have to make due with what we had. After hardwiring some wires together in my helmet after a switch broke, I suited up, splashed my way across the field, lined up behind Rhett’s green tug, and was soon airborne heading northwest. I released after we made a full circle in lift over the factories so Rhett could go back and drag Dennis up into the same thermal. I was climbing nicely while drifting slowing to the northeast when I noticed the wind increase, my drift shift to the east, and the climb become shredded and weak. I managed to maintain a slow climb in the broken lift and noticed the wind became even stronger and I was now drifting to the southeast. Um, pick your direction and then stay at the correct altitude. I guess that is how balloonist do it.

Meanwhile Dennis was still on the ground. I watched the green tug and Dennis’ ATOS dance around each other as they swapped towing directions. I was quickly drifting too far away to sync up with my flying partner for the day, so I plowed upwind. I arrived back at the factories with only a couple hundred feet over the cutoff point where I would have to run back to Morningside for another tow. I found a scrappy thermal over the hot metal roofs and started climbing. I watched Rhett pull Dennis in over me and later saw Rhett diving away back to the hanger. Dennis got on the radio and wanted to know where I was. I tried to tell him I was right below him but his radio was now transmitting continuously. I listened to heavy breathing for awhile, but eventually pulled the plug to save my sanity! I kept looking for Dennis but never saw him again. (Dennis almost immediately headed northeast. He briefly flew with Jeff, who launched from Ascutney, near Green Mountain but ended up alone again as Jeff passed on a weak climb drifting over the trees near Kellyville).

I drifted almost due east of Morningside and began a scenic backcountry tour. We have a lot of forest and lakes in New England which is nice if you like hiking, biking, or paddling but doesn’t do much for hang gliding. I managed to keep a good 3-4,000 feet between me and the trees that allowed me to enjoy the view instead of freaking out over the lack of LZs. I flew over Unity towards northern Washington in the middle of the “Goshen Ocean” of trees. I was smart and stopped for 20 minutes or so while all the clouds fizzled away when some cirrus passed overhead. I pushed north to Contoocook to avoid Concord and was rewarded with a nice smooth climb back to cloud base. Instead of waiting for better conditions like I did before, I pressed on when I caught up with the cirrus and its shading as I crossed the Merrimack River. From there I drifted in light climbs slowly loosing altitude until I got backed up against a large swath of trees and lakes (Northwood Lake) that I dare not cross. I snooped around for a climb that might get me up and away, but eventually landed in a dry and recently mowed hayfield next to a barn and house at Bear Meadow Farm.

I took some pictures, packed up, and did some work sitting under a large oak tree while I waited for Dennis and Chip S to haul my butt back to Morningside (about 55 miles away). Thanks Chip! I was disappointed that I wasn’t more patient (I probably could have flown to the coast) but it was fun drifting over all that forest that makes flying in this part of the country unique and challenging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

unique, challenging and absolutely frightening!!!!!!!!!!!