Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Playtime

A small group of us, (Daniel, Dave, Davis, Greg, George, Larry, and myself), decided to fly a small triangle that included QuestAir, the intersection of Route 33 and the turnpike, and Kokee.  (Davis wrote about the task and his experience on The Oz Report).

Jim towed me to a weak climb that I shared with Dana and then Dave Williams.  Dave and I eventually moved on course after reaching cloud base.



Larry, who launched last, caught up with us as we approached the Grass Roots Airpark.




I arrived at the same height as Larry after the next climb, but couldn't find consistent lift and eventually lost Dave and Larry.  I floundered awhile, but made my way to the turnpike and then headed to the next turn point at Kokee.  I got very low (700 feet / 215m) but found bits of lift that eventually turned into a robust climb to base.

A large blue hole enveloped Kokee by the time I arrived a few climb/glide cycles later.  I played in tiny bits of lift again, but couldn't get away.  I landed in a nice pasture and broke down in the shade of a moss-drenched oak tree.




Sue arrived shortly after I finished packing and whisked me back to the airfield.  Thanks Sue!

I had a lot more fun than the small distance I covered might hint at.  I enjoyed soaring over the countryside, coaxing each move forward from the sky.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:08, Distance: 26.7 miles

No comments: