Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Fixed Wing Aircraft

Since the forecast called for increasing westerly winds and a relatively strong sea breeze by late afternoon, I saddled up for a noon-time launch from QuestAir.  Cumulus moved overhead, but were low and widely spaced.  Jim Praul towed me to cloud base at 2300 feet (700m).  Um, now what should I do?

I bounced between a couple clouds until the sky blued-out upwind of the field.  I could have taken off downwind, but was waiting to fly with other pilots.




I glided upwind as far as I dare and then returned to the field, groveled a bit, and in the process dragged Amy back to the field as well.  While holding on, I watched three planes land on the runway, including a show-ready red Waco bi-plane.  After a whopping 30 minutes I was back on the ground.

A sweet red bi-wing Waco flew in while I orbited the field

It was almost 4pm before we started towing again.  I was first up and once again Jim dragged me a nice climb to the southwest of the field.


I steadily climbed as I watched Jim pull Matt up to the north.  I thought about waiting, but once I reached base and saw all the blue upwind to the north, I flew crossing upwind to the southwest to much better looking clouds.

Maybe not!


Much better...

I flew with sailplanes as I flew around the Seminole-Lake Gliderport.  Kevin and another pilot treated me to a sweet fly-by that I could even hear as they passed.  They were even nice enough to mark a climb.




I continued to exchange greetings with sailplane pilots as I passed through the area.





The sky started getting congested with clouds as I headed south.  However, little bits of cumulus would mark good lift under the stable shade.


The winds started increasing as predicted (19 mph / 30.5 kph) and streets started forming perpendicular to my general course line.  I would easily climb to base at 4500 feet (1300m) and then lose more than half gliding across the sinking air between.  Even so it was a drama free flight to Wallaby Ranch, where I landed shortly before the sea breeze scoured the air clean of cumulus.


Welcoming committee

Jason Williams was exceptionally kind and offered to drive me back.  Thanks Jason!  We stopped by QuestAir and loaded up with pilots before heading out for Mexican food in Groveland.

I didn't fly with any flex wing pilots today, but was kept company by pilots in all types of fixed wing aircraft (and my feathered friends).

Here are a couple clips of glider fly-bys,


Flights: 2, Duration: 1:38, Distance:  22.5 miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, Thomas!
Nice to have friends at the other end of the run! Cheers PK