Thursday, April 02, 2015

Around the Park

The forecast for today at QuestAir looked good yesterday evening.  However, this morning an occluded front to the east-northeast was filling the sky with heavy patches of cirrus.  The wind was also blowing from the northeast, but was predicted to become light from the southeast.  Even though the forecast predicted good cumulus development, we weren't quite sure what would happen.

Davis suggested a small triangle to the northwest.  I was originally cool with the idea, but as the afternoon progressed, I wasn't thrilled with the lack of cumulus in that direction.  Still, I would wait until I was airborne to make the "go / no-go" decision.

Armand was the first to launch around 1:30 in his Swift.  He wandered around the field not finding much and disappeared relatively low to the northwest.  (He told me this evening he worked weak lift and continued flying and drifting along the course line, but turned around when confronted with blue skies after a couple weak climbs.)

After a couple flex wing pilots sledded, I noticed some good development to the east and went to get my glider.  Davis, Rich, Spinner, and Steve had the same idea.  Davis found a good climb in the blue above the field, but Rich, who launched next, couldn't find it.  Spinner launched and then Steve and I waited out a long cycle on the ground where the wind was crossing and/or tailing.  The wind finally went light and away we went.


Jim dropped me off in a nice climb to the southeast and I slowly floated to base.


I tried to communicate with Davis about the task, but another pilot was constantly broadcasting preventing any discussion.  I hung around the field for awhile, but decided to move on when I noticed Davis landing below.



Following Steve to "Bubba's Fish Camp"

I explored the area upwind to the east, sharing a long broken climb with a bald eagle.  The once milky blue sky slowly started filling with clouds as a sea breeze slowly approached from the west.





As conditions improved, I flew southeast to Lake Louisa, then over to the Seminole-Lake Gliderport, then back to QuestAir.  I decided to wang my way to the ground when I saw the size of the towering cumulus overhead, noticed rain falling far to the east, and had trouble keeping clear of the clouds.  (I landed prematurely; the clouds slowly dissipated leaving only a few widely scattered large clouds.)

Keith had his second out-landing today after venturing off to the west by himself.  Nice.  Amy soared the tandem glider.  I think everyone had soaring flights today once the day turned on.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:00, Distance: 26.8 miles

1 comment:

Lee M. said...

Beautiful pictures Tom. It's nice to know that the color green still exists somewhere!