Thursday, April 09, 2015

Green Swamp Sport Klassic (Day 5)

The task was nicknamed "New Personal Best".  The 114.5 km task was a long north northwest leg then a northwest jog over housing developments to avoid the airspace at Ocala, then mostly north to the goal at Williston.  The task and results are available on Soaring Spot, while the task and tracks are available on AirTribune.



The first couple glides from Quest went well, but I warned my group about possibly weak climbs over large damp fields south of the turnpike.  In spite of everyone topping out, the entire comp ended up low and struggling.  Some pilots sought refuge over a fire just south of the fields, others over drier sections in the middle.  I got low, but found a consistent weak climb and eventually worked my way to base where Greg and I waited for the survivors to arrive.

Large fields that tested everyone


I chose to follow the lake convergence line as we approached The Villages.  I watched several pilots land as they chose to fly over the green, and probably damp, fields to the west.

Green fields that slowed (or grounded) pilots

I waited around marking climbs and offering advice on navigating the nicely space cumulus.





I mistakenly thought the course went straight to the airfield at Dunnellon.  Luckily I saw the arrow on my flight computer pointing north before I got too far off track and curved around back to the turn point at Savanna.


I made a long glide over housing developments that didn't work out and warned off anyone that might be following.  I found a strong climb over a field in the middle of all those houses after a long glide that would have grounded many of the sport class gliders.

I moved on towards the airport, but almost landed as I tried to use my flight computer to optimize my path around the turn point.  As the saying goes, "perfect is often the enemy of good".  I floundered and was unzipped before wrestling the air for a climb over my intended LZ.  Once back up, I connected with my crew again and we headed for goal.

I shadowed Jeff, far above, as he made a precision final glide.  He would arrive with no excess altitude and would have had the perfect final if he hadn't missed the goal cylinder.  Bummer.  (I tried to reach him on the radio, but he was understandably "busy").  We planned to land at the field next to the airport that just happened to have a carnival next to it.  I was looking forward to carnival junk food, but Jeff, attempting to get the goal cylinder, landed at the airport.  I followed suit and so did a few others that made a goal worthy of an open class task.

Goalies (and driver)

Many pilots had personal bests and there was a lot of "high fives" and celebrating.  I also had a good time; enjoying the drama of two low saves and, of course,  helping pilots along the way.


Flights: 1, Duration: 4:33, Distance: 114.5 km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeeha! GreAT STUFF. p OUCH k