Monday, April 06, 2015

Green Swamp Sport Klassic (Day 2)

The task was a dogleg to the northwest and then due west.  The task and results are available on Soaring Spot.  The task and partially complete tracking is available on AirTribune.

The tow line rolled along smoothly although we did occasionally wait for a cross wind to subside.

JB ensuring Matt is ready to go

Check the windsock. Hope I don't get the rope!

At first the lift was spotty, but available if you were patient.  A growing number of pilots filled a gaggle to the west of the field as we slowly climbed to cloud base.



Some pilots didn't need mentoring



I waited until several members of the group were at base before heading on course.  I provided general guidance on how to glide efficiently as we move along.  Our first stop was a potential climb over a very large nursery.



We continued on course towards a sand mine where a few pilots in front snagged a good climb, while everyone else floundered in weak and broken lift.  Unfortunately, I watched several pilots land below me as I climbed at 50 fpm (0.25 m/s).  I continued to help the survivors whenever possible.



The rest of the flight was uneventful and I landed in the field I discussed with my group during the morning briefing.  (Other pilots landed in a field east southeast of goal).



Goal is airstrip in lower center

LZ in lower center

Track

I escaped the hot afternoon sun by breaking down in the shade of an oak tree.


I had short hike out to meet Davis, Greg, and Belinda when they arrived.  The mentors discussed our experiences and how we could improve our mentoring on the ride home.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:49, Distance: 41.4 km

No comments: