Friday, April 24, 2015

Tactical Retreat

Finally, a day without thunderstorms in the forecast!  I was the first to tow again and Paul dropped me into a weak climb upwind of the field at Wallaby Ranch.




The inconsistent climb continued to entice me to stay, even as I drifted past the field were I was joined by another pilot.


We continued climbing and drifting up our glide slope back to the field.  (We would arrive at the field with about 800 feet (240 m) even as we got further away.)

Wallaby Ranch (left of center)

Instead of drifting off downwind towards controlled airspace, we returned to the field.  The other pilot found a climb at the northeast corner of the field and I momentarily joined in but was losing more than gaining.  Since I was so low, I thought it best to make a tactical retreat to land and tow again.


The second flight was entirely different from the first.  The sky was now littered with clouds and lift was plentiful.  (I suspect the western sea breeze was creating the lift).  In almost no time I was at base.

Mike


 

Although the sky to the west dried out, we had no problem staying aloft.  Mike and I waited for Ken to join us before wandering to the north.




I took the opportunity to experiment with the new glider; flying fast, flying slow, trying this and that.  I used the onboard camera to see how the wing looked in different configurations.  I also took a few selfies with the new glider.





We all landed with Mike noticed the wind on the lakes was increasing.  We all had uneventful landings.  I even had a stroll through the flowers.


Flights: 2, Duration: 2:07, Distance: 19.3 km

No comments: