Saturday, April 26, 2008

Santa Cruz Flats (Day 6)

Although the winds were light, it took longer to get everyone on course yesterday due to weaker and wider-space climbs. At times it seemed that every 4th or 5th pilot coming through the line had already towed before. Some came through again because of weak-link breaks and some because they simply sunk out. Either way, we had more launches than any day so far. Also unlike earlier days, I saw several busted down tubes, corner brackets, and even harnesses.

Rob graciously offered me a little Wills Wing Sport 2 135 to rig in the dust and fly after the competitors left. I wasn't sure it's wings were big enough to get be airborne; it seemed more like a large umbrella than a hang glider! Rob insisted it would do fine, so we wound up Jim in the tug and I was soon looking for lift. Jim towed me upwind, which was also along course line. It really sunk in how difficult the day was when I saw 4 or 5 gliders on the ground in or just slightly outside the start circle. I checked out the scenery and gradually wondered back towards the resort since I didn't exactly know the glide slope of the glider I was flying. I finally found a climb near launch and started climbed. I was soon joined by two competitors still in the area, but left them below as I threw my little sports car into the surges of lift that finally consolidated into a strong climb to 6000.

I went to get my camera to take pictures of the mountains and the patch work agricultural fields when I noticed my drink tube. Um, a drink of water would be good. I pulled out my line and ripped the nipple off. It immediately started spraying water over my helmet and harness like a fireman spraying down a burning building. It took a couple seconds of frantic grabbing before I caught it. I decided I should drink before it was all gone. Ever try to drink from a water fountain with a helmet on? It is not easy! By the time the water drained out I lost the climb and was getting too far from the resort so I never got to take my pictures. I found a couple more climbs, but arrived back at the resort lower each time. I eventually landed after nearly an hour of playtime.

A small group gathered as I lazily broke down in the shade on the cool green grass. We watched the two rigid wings arrive at goal. We also saw Rhett leave to tow Brian back up after he landed just short of goal across the road. Brian gave the spectators a good show as he flew in over our heads. Later in the afternoon several of us went to watch for arriving flex wings from the top floor of the resort tower. We saw two gliders slowing climbing and drifting from our left more than one glide away. Meanwhile we watched other gliders land at the edge of our vision. We were trying to guess if the pilots had goal or not. The further pilot, who turned out to be Brett, looked like he needed a climb. The closer pilot, who turned out to be Nene, was close; sometimes it looked like he might barely make it, other times not. It was a real nail-bitter that would have made for an interesting TV plot. It was also fun watching Brett and Nene's struggle from above. In the end Nene landed 800 meters short of goal and Brett a bit further away. (You can see Nene in the center of the picture. He landed in the open spot in the field in front of the resort. Brett landed in the green field to the right of the houses and trailers). Nene won the day.

No comments: