Monday, August 24, 2009

Crow Island

Mark V, a hang-glider pilot that also flies trikes, invited Amy and I to a picnic and fly-in at Crow Island in Stow Massachusetts Saturday (August 15).  I barely got across the field when I spotted Arvin, a trike pilot, sailplane pilot, and ex-hang glider pilot that I trained with when we were happy running down a slope.  Arvin grabbed my arm and moments later we were flying around the airfield in his trike.  Sweet!

Arvin's trike

Arvin on final

Arvin was roped into burger-flipping duty after we landed so I turned my attention to Amy, who was getting ready for her first ultralight flight with Mark.  She had a good time, but was feeling a bit "too high" as Mark climbed through 1200 feet (365m)!

Mark and Amy

I recognized Nick's hang glider resting in the shade on the way in and barely got to wave to him before he took off for a couple hours of soaring using his Mosquito harness.

I grabbed some video with my cell phone between flying and stuffing my face with food.


I chatted with other hang-gliding buddies (Janice, Nathan, Tom) and some of the CIA (Crow Island Aviators) I met at Wallaby Ranch earlier this spring.  I watched a spot landing contest, the candy drop for the children, and of course ate a lot of food.  I had a good time and was envious watching people fly only minutes from my home.

No comments: