Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thermal Factory

I camped overnight at Morningside Flight Park after flying at Sugarbush on Thursday (August 13).  I awoke Friday morning to a valley packed thick with wet grey fog.  I almost left for home before PK called and mentioned that Peter J was heading to Morningside and Greg H was looking for someone to join him at nearby Mount Ascutney.  I sure wasn't going to hike into Ascutney with the predicted heat and humidity but a lazy day on the tow line sure beat driving home to the pile of wood that needed splitting.

Peter's timing was perfect; the fog broke up moments before he drove in.  Peter said he preferred to fly at Ascutney but was glued to the shade at the flight park.  After a bit of hang wringing Peter and I decided to tow at Morningside while Greg and John A planned to launch at Ascutney.  We agreed on a common radio frequency and I told Greg I would fly over to hook up with him.

There were ratty clouds forming over the high terrain to the east and west, but as expected nothing over the once foggy river valley.  I planned to tow towards Ascutney and make a run for the mountain immediately after releasing.  However, much to my surprise, we ran into a weak climb to the north of the runway.  After a couple of turns I released and started my slow climb.

I watched Steve join the climb with the tandem glider and then Peter.  I called for Greg but he simply replied "low and busy".  Enough said.  After topping out around 1100m (3600 feet) I pushed on towards Ascutney but couldn't find a climb.  I finally chickened out and returned to the hot metal roofs of the factory buildings for a recharge.  That pattern would repeat itself most of the afternoon.


Rhett in the tug, Steve on tow, Peter free flying.


Greg joining the crew.


Eventually Greg got back on the radio and said he just pulled himself off the deck at 300 feet (100 m) and was on glide towards us.  He joined a climb with Peter, Tony, and me over the factories.  I would leave the climb for a forming cloud to only watch the cloud dissipate on the short trip there and then find nothing under it.  We left for clouds at the first sign of condensation to only find nothing under the white "fools gold".  I got more and more aggressive as the afternoon wore on, returning with barely any altitude over the metal rooftops.

Claremont, New Hampshire

Mount Ascutney and Connecticut River

Here is a short clip of Greg and Peter climbing in the "house" thermal.


We played around for most of the late afternoon.  I finally connected with a good climb under a cloud to the east of Morningside after an all-or-nothing glide that seemed uniquely satisfying.  I hit another climb near Claremont and then floated back land with Peter and Greg at Morningside.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:38

No comments: