Friday, October 02, 2009

Team Challenge (Day 4)

We had a lot of launches and landings today, but not much soaring.  It was a blue day, with the exception of the tantalizing cumulus over the plateau on the other side of the valley and the occasional wisp over the back.  The launch window opened early and teams wanting to maximize points starting diving off the ramp to make use of the "re-flight" bonus.


Staging at Henson's Gap.  Notice the blue squares on the Aerosnaut gliders.  Soon everyone was copying our idea.


Wow, what team work!

The Aerosnauts decided to forgo the "re-flight" bonus and try to soar.  Mark B, Mike B, and Dave H managed to snag a climb while the stream of flights to the LZ continued.  Erin, Jim, and I dove into the blue hoping against hope to find a climb.  Erin settled to the LZ while Jim and I entertained the crowd on launch with our team flying in front and below launch.  Clark joined us for a turn or two with the tandem before heading out.  We did our best with the broken weak lift and even managed to get back to launch height before losing it.  Jim eventually sank out while I started working the mechanical turbulence to the right of launch.  I maintained for quite awhile before slowly climbing in a real thermal.  I met Dennis P at ridge height as we climbed to 500 - 600 feet above the ridge.


Mike B looking for signs of life.

I glided over launch and headed towards the "C" goal across the valley.  I noticed two gliders gliding below me and momentarily got excited when one started to turn.  However that excitement was squashed when I noticed the glider continue on with a loss of altitude.  I had to quickly decide between continuing on and probably landing out or running back to the LZ for a shot later in the day.  I decided to return the LZ and try flying with the team later.  I landed and quickly broke down so Erin, Jim, and I could drive back up for another chance.


Mark B teasing everyone by climbing above launch.

We quickly rigged and got ready to launch again.  The late afternoon wonder-wind never materialized so we should have "dove for distance" with our two "C" pilots Dan and Erin.  However that's not our style.  We once again tried to soar on a stable day and ended in the LZ.  We all had good launches and landings, but essentially zero-ed for the day.  Snot the way to win!

Flights: 2, Duration: 0:49

2 comments:

olehere said...

It s not smart to mess with anal ymous.

Jeff Curtis said...

Tough day but it sounds like the team is having fun