Saturday, October 03, 2009

Team Challenge (Day 5)

We launched at Whitwell, which meant starting early since launch is atop an east-facing ridge.  Things were going well until the task committee started debating how to encourage "C" pilots to launch early and land in the LZ unless they were high.  After some lengthy debate, the committee decided to scrap the "re-flight" bonus, only count the first flight, and award "C" pilots in the LZ the same score as someone who landed 3 miles out.


Setting up at Whitwell

With the task settled, the Aerosnauts mounted up and heading down into the valley.  We filled the truck with fuel and junk food before traveling the back roads on the west side of the valley exploring potential landing areas.

We were relieved to see it blowing in a bit at times instead of totally cross.  However, I was worried about launching conditions since it was blowing mostly 90 degrees cross from the right and the clouds 1500 feet above were blowing over the back.  The Aerosnauts rigged quickly so we could launch early and snot be trapped on launch if it started to blow down.

Allen launched first, followed by me and then Dan.  Jim and Erin launched a bit later to spread our risk.  Allen turned left and maintained.  I launched and turned left to sample the ridge to the south.  I didn't find much aside from a butt-beating and returned below launch.   I told Erin and Jim to be ready for a "bar room fight" as the wind was blowing across the face of the ridge producing turbulence and broken lift.

Jim launched and stayed on top of the ridge but Erin got flushed to the church LZ.  Meanwhile Allen was working a thermal away from the ridge, Dan was impressing us all, and unfortunately I was looking up at my team.

I like a good fight and started clawing my way up.  Allen sank out and Dan kept pushing on.  I managed to snag a climb and joined Jim on our way to cloud base.  We waited for several other pilots (Bryan, Dennis, and Mike) to reach our altitude before moving on.  We spread out and easily glided over the first large gap and even cleared the second gap.  However, it got interesting as Jim didn't have enough altitude to keep moving on and I barely had enough.  I came into a climb just above ridge height and wrestled with the air as Jim landed at the airfield south of Dunlap and Dan landed a few miles further behind, just short of his goal which was the airfield.


Low ridge where I was just a few feet above the trees before climbing back out.

I once again fought my way up and hooked up with Mark B for a climb on the ridge and then over the quarry.  I glided across the valley towards my second waypoint at the Henson's LZ.  I flew over dry corn fields looking for lift when I noticed Mark turning behind me to the west.  I quickly ran over to him and joined the climb.  From there I got high enough to snag the Henson's LZ turn point and glide back upwind to my goal at the airfield assisted by lift lines over the small ridge in the middle of the valley.


My wing at goal

Jim was still breaking down as I flew overhead searching for air that wasn't going up.  Figures.  I spent 15 minutes looking for a way down!  The lift softened and I spiraled down and landed next to Jim.  Our driver Frances showed up with the rest of the team just as I was zipping the glider bag.

We won the day with me at goal, Dan almost at goal, and Jim 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to goal.  Snot bad.

Ollie handed out some shirts to the "C" pilots after we enjoyed a good meal in the pavilion.




I want to extend a big "thank you" to Rick who allowed us to park on his deck and steal his internet connection during the Team Challenge.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:45

No comments: