Saturday, May 01, 2010

Flytec Race & Rally (Day 5)

After landing way too early on day 4, I came back and had a go at Jim's latest project at American Rock Climbing.  It was fun scrambling up the side but the traverse was the most interesting since I have not done that before.  I was surprised at how much you need to rely on arms since you can't "lean into" the net.  Once across you use a zip line for the return trip.  The finale is a leap of faith off the platform, letting the safety traction device gently lower you to the ground.  Thanks for making feel like a kid again Jim!


The task for the day was a 69 km (42 mile) trip in the blue from Quest Air to Williston.  I got to stage in priority since I was on the safety committee so that helped reduce the tension surrounding rigging, staging, and getting in the launch line.


I had an uneventful tow followed by a weak climb but soon found myself racing back to the airfield for another tow.  I stumbled into a low broken climb with Eric and avoided the hassle of landing and launching again.  We didn't climb cleanly or fast but arrived at the top in time to join the rest of the competitors in a massive unorganized gaggle of whirling obstacles.

The flight was really an exercise in gaggle flying.  Unlike most days, competitors never got smeared along the course line.  It was blue, so pilots tended to clump together.  Also the pilots at the top of the stack would lead out, get low, and then everyone else would catch up.  The later arriving pilots would now be on top, lead out, and eventually get slow and the entire field would catch up again.  I had too many tense moments to remember.  (Everyone seemed to be apologizing to everyone else for "close calls" after landing.)

Eric and I shared another strong climb east of course line that was a refreshing rest before diving back into the top of the main gaggle.

We also had an interesting climb near a large forest fire south of the Ocala airport.  It was fun seeing gliders quickly fade away as they dove into the smoke.  I should have taken pictures, but was too worried about collision avoidance.

I was in good position for a top finish, but made a poor choice between final climbs.  There was a climb closer on course line and another possibly stronger climb a bit to the east.  Larry and I chose the climb on course line and got slowed up and then got stepped on after leaving it.  The few gliders in the other thermal had fast buoyant glides into goal.  Larry and I had to stop yet again for another climb before heading in.

A lot of pilots made goal so there were a lot of happy people.  I was happy because we finally cut the strings to central Florida.  We met up at a little ice cream shop before heading to our motels, or in our case, empty fields for the night.



 Johnny

The scores are available online.

Flights: 1, Duration: 3:50, Distance: 68 km

No comments: