Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flytec Race & Rally (Day 4)

Today was a bit disappointing since I was standing on the ground looking up at my buddies instead of flying with them.

We had a 109 km task from Quest Air to the airport at Avon Park.  The forecast called for blue skies, light west northwest wind, and weak to moderate lift. 


Pilots were slow to launch since it didn't look soar-able especially after a couple early birds circled their way back to the ground.



My entire tow was spent circling over the field behind Bob.  I climbed a little after release and then lost most of my altitude flying upwind.  The rest of my time in the start circle was low trying to keep my feet off the ground.  I finally stumbled into a climb that allowed me to join the main gaggle in time for the last start.

Although we were working hard to stay upwind of course line in the moderate west wind we were making progress.  I pushed upwind of the group and had to turn around for a climb, came in low, and couldn't find it.  I wasn't worried, but should have been.  I continued on and was soon picking out LZs.  I climbed from 300 to 700 feet (90 to 200m) in a broken climb but had to bail out so I could reach my LZ.  Of course after landing I looked up and saw a dozen gliders climbing above me.  Dang.

Bill arrived before I was finished packing up.  We picked up Patrick on the way back.

Bill and Patrick

I was very disappointed to be on the ground so early on a fun flying day but that's the nature of this silly game we play.  Tomorrow is another day.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:06, Distance: 39 km

No comments: