Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rob Kells Memorial (Day 5)

I was dealing well with the problems thrown my way today until I wasn't.  ;-)

Instead of the predicted sunny skies, I awoke to solid cloud cover.  Luckily it moved away and we began rigging.  Patrick and I decided to install our "racing wires" but ran into a few snags.  We preserved and rigged as some pilots starting carrying their gliders across the field to stage.  After carrying our gliders clear across the field, we discovered the staging area was back on the other side where we rigged.  Doh.

By the time we got our gliders back to where they originally were, we were missing the morning pilots meeting.  The one thing we did catch was that the day might overdevelop and launching would start in about 30 minutes.  I inhaled some food, quickly prepped my harness, programmed my flight computer, grabbed the smelly flight clothes, and walked out to the launch line.  The task was a short run to the east, then south, back north to the first turn point, and back to the tow field.


It was obvious that everyone planned to launch as soon as possible to beat the possible rain.  I somehow managed to be the third open class flex wing pilot in line.  I hooked up to the tug and away I went.  Sort of.  My weak link broke just as I lifted off the cart.  Luckily I settled back into the cart and coasted across the field as I bled off speed.  No worries.  I wheeled back to the launch line, got another weak link, and waited to step back into line.  The second tow went well.  Sort of.  Part-way through the tow, the new weak link untied.  I found a weak climb that fizzled and had to fly back to the field.  I stumbled into another weak climb that eventually took me to tow height and then to cloud base.



I managed to stay at base until the start gate opened and was on my way to the first turn point with good altitude and position.  I had another good climb at the turn point and pushed south into darkening skies.  I managed to stay upwind of the course line, but gave up my hard-earned position for a measly short-lived climb down wind.  That decision left me low over a housing development with Davis, James, and Joe.  Davis eventually landed while James, Joe, and I slowly climbed and quickly drifted off course line.  James and Joe struck out over the houses but I didn't like the landing options so I pushed back upwind hoping to find something over the now sunny fields.  No luck.  Instead I floundered before turning back downwind to land in a dry pasture with a shade tree next to a gate and paved road.

 My LZ

Bill arrived to pick me up before I could convince the cows to look for entertainment elsewhere and to break down.  We hopped into the van to fetch Patrick who placed third for the day.  (Way to go Patrick!)  Although Patrick landed high and dry, we had to take off our shoes and wade through water to carry his gear out.

Along the road at Patrick's LZ

I didn't get very far and my position will surely fall, but I still had fun flying and overcoming the little obstacles that seemingly get in our way.  (I'm getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes as I write this.)

The scores are available online.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:45, Distance: 20 km

No comments: