Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rob Kells Memorial (Day 6)

Typical good flying conditions returned to south Florida today.  Cloud base above 5000 feet (1500 m), light winds, and climbs of 500 fpm (2.5 m/s) common with some reaching 800 fpm (4 m/s).  The task was a z-like course to the west-northwest-west and then back.  The sport class would have the same task they had yesterday.


Everyone was excited about the day.




The sport class launched first and then the rigid and open class.  I continued having troubles with weak links today.  I had a weak link break at about 50 feet (15 m) off the ground.  I did a quick 360, landed, and headed back for another try.  The next weak link broke at about 150 feet (45 m).  I flared too high and got dirt on the nose of my new glider.  ;-(

Needless to say, I was frustrated with the weak links I was getting.  (I went most, or maybe all, of last year with a single weak link.)  Several people looked over the weak links and commented that they were not tied properly.  Bill gave me one that he assured was tied correctly.  It did the trick as James gave me a tall tow towards the start circle.

Patrick and I took the 2nd start, but came back for the 3rd start after drifting back to within 0.8 km of the start cylinder.  I took a poor line to the first turn point and got separated from the lead gaggle.  I almost caught them again at the second turn point, but went around a blue hole while they cut across and found a climb in the middle.  The climbs and flying on the way to they 3rd furthest turn point was fun and predictable.  I tried to skip a climb just after circling the furthest turn point that eventually left me low and "looking for lift in all the wrong places".  I wallowed around in weak broken lift over a swamp as everyone left me behind.  I was reluctant to leave my pitiful safe haven as I watched another pilot land nearby.  I eventually summoned enough courage to back track to a cloud that finally provided a quick climb to base and allowed me to push on.

By that time the day was mellowing, which meant the climbs were slower, but the glides more generous.  Although not fast for me, the last two legs were fun and relaxing.  I arrived at the flight park long after many other pilots, but its always nice to return to the nest and avoid the hassles of packing and unpacking the glider.

I learned later in the evening that Jim made his first goal today and was the first there.  Congratulations!


The results are available online.

Flights: 2, Duration: 4:17, Distance: 124 km

1 comment:

Lee M. said...

Tom, Sorry to hear that the weak links have been giving you so much trouble. Having them break so close to the ground can't be fun. I'm glad you had some landing options. Thanks for providing a good read.
The VHGA'ers are all routing for you, Jim, and Allen. Good luck!