Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flytec Race & Rally (Day 3)

It looked good for flying yesterday until I was on tow.  It was active all the way to the top.  At one point my right wing fell into a hole and momentarily rolled close to 90 degrees.  Bobby and I got quickly got things back into line but it was an adrenaline rush.

I managed a couple climbs but I was constantly working to keep the glider going where I wanted.  The lakes below were all "lit up" with wind lines and gust swirls; more than I've ever seen in Florida.  I also watched how other pilots were coping with the conditions.  Many were regularly knocked out of thermals or doing unintended wing-overs on glide.  On top of everything else we were quickly blown away from the field and off course line.

I finally decided I had enough and decided to land.  I rarely "bag a soar-able day", but yesterday was a day to "throw back".  Within a few minutes most of the pilots landed and after some discussion the task was stopped.

Although we decided to move on after the day's flight at the morning meeting, we had another vote and decided to stay at Quest for another day or two.  Needless to say I was very disappointed.  From my perspective we killed the rally and turned it into a traditional meet held at Quest.

Connie made us a great dinner last night and we spent the evening hanging out with friends in the club house.

 Dangerous non-flying activity
 Beer, testing equipment, and a fast truck; what can go wrong

Don't ask!

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:28

No comments: