Monday, April 19, 2010

Rob Kells Memorial (Day 3)

The national weather service predicted mostly cloudy skies with showers, but the day turned out to feature partly cloudy skies with a moderate northeast breeze.  I was glad there wasn't any drama associated with flying conditions since it was my day to be part of the safety committee.

The task was a relatively short run to the west southwest to a turn-point south of LaBelle and then south to the airport at Immokalee.


We rigged our soggy gliders and lined up for launching.


 Derrek modeling women's wear

I wanted to avoid being blown out of the start circle, so I delayed launching until 1:00, 30 minutes before the first start.  I had a nice tow, climbed out with Charlie, Jim and Linda.  We were at base just inside the start circle about 8 minutes before the first start.  I didn't think we could maintain our position that long and decided to fly upwind to a large gaggle near launch.  Big mistake.  I plowed through strong sink and floundered around never finding the climb.  I was just able to reach the park for another tow.

Thanks to Bill I was soon following another tug into the air.  I was waved off upwind of the field just as the last start gate opened.  I started pedaling as fast as I could trying to make up for lost time.  I quickly caught a large gaggle, but once again lost ground as I flew off course to the west thinking I might be able to skip a climb under a nice looking line of clouds.

Several pilots caught me at the turn point were I wasted time trying to top out before heading south over very wet ground under blue sky.  I was so focused on strategy, that I totally missed the turn point and had to fly 2 km back to tag it.  Sigh.

After that I resigned to just getting to goal.  I let a couple pilots get ahead of me as I just didn't want to risk landing short.  Of course, I arrived at goal with 800 feet.

 Ben at goal

Clouds chasing us

Although I didn't perform at my best, I had a great time flying with friends over lots of open fields.

Flights: 2, Duration: 2:16, Distance: 29.9 km

No comments: