Friday, July 09, 2010

Cool at Base

Most people in New England were satisfied hiding indoors earlier this week when temperatures were 100F (38C) or more and the humidity level not much lower.  However, Randy and I are not like most people and decided to stay cool at cloud base instead.  We do have limits though; we quickly passed on Greg's request to hike, with gliders, to the launch at Mount Ascutney.  No thanks.  Rigging gliders in the airfield sauna at Morningside would be hot enough.

The weather forecast was interesting not only for the unusual heat, humidity, and haze, but also for the prediction of a convergence line with light winds forming far inland; maybe even over Morningside.  Just in case conditions turned on, we picked up Ryan who volunteered to drive.

We quickly rigged once we arrived at Morningside so Rhett could drag us into the sky before heading into town to tackle a long "to do" list.  I decided to launch first so Rhett could drop Randy off above me once I established a climb.  Rhett and I plowed into a climb north of the field.  After a turn or two together I released at 1700 feet (518m) and began turning in a reasonable climb.  However, I only snagged a couple turns before I lost it.  I started searching for something better while wishing I stayed on tow a bit longer.  I finally found another climb just as Randy and Rhett were taking off.  By the time Randy released above me I was climbing at 300 fpm (1.5m/s).

Clouds away from river valley.  (Morningside field left of center.)

We climbed well together but I was already worried about our future course line.  There were cumulus clouds about 5 miles (8 km) east of the river valley where we were.  That sounds nice but the clouds were over oceans of trees with little or no safe landing areas below them.  Furthermore, Randy had limited XC experience and a glider that didn't allow him to stray very far from LZs.  We tried to fly as close to the clouds as possible and would glide back to the river valley if we got low.

The large fields at and around Peachblow Farm provided a temporary LZ sanctuary as we slowly moved south.  Unfortunately, we allowed ourselves to get separated and before long Randy was heading into the valley near Charlestown NH.  I just assumed he was done for the day so I stayed in my weak climb as he amazingly stayed airborne in the hazy blue soup to the west.

PeachBlow Farm, Charlestown NH

I kept moving further east and starting getting stronger (500 fpm, 2.5 m/s) and more reliable climbs to cloud base at 6200 feet (1900m).  I floated around in the cool air watching Randy put up a valiant fight with gravity before taking a final glide to a field north of Fall Mountain.

Although I was getting good climbs, I was also getting further and further from the river valley.  I considered flying to Keene NH, but decided the extra retrieve time wasn't worth the hassle.  Instead I chose to dive into the blue towards the river valley south of Walpole NH.

I have never flown in such smooth air in the middle of a sunny day before.  There was no wind, no thermals, no turbulence, not even the tiniest of bumps as I passed over the town of Walpole.  There were no thermal or wind ripples on the river as far as I could see in either direction.  It was like flying at sunrise on a calm morning!

Once I gave up hunting for a climb, I started looking for LZs.  I flew over several recently cleared hayfields on my way to Putney.  I soon discovered there was a lot more corn than usual to the south so I turned around and flew back to the hayfields.  All three fields were OK, but one had a line of shade trees on one side.  Um.  Break down in the full sun or in the shade?  Easy decision.

Since the air was so benign, I decided to have fun.  I did a couple wing overs before making the wires whistle as I banked into the corner of the field, dove and skimmed a couple feet off the deck less than a wingspan away from the trees as alternating light and dark from the sun and shade flickered on my visor.  I stood the glider up on its keel for a no-step landing and walked 4 or 5 steps into the shade before setting the glider down on the mowed grass.  Sweet!


Randy and Ryan showed up shortly after I finished packing.  We made a few stops on the way home.  ;-)  We stopped at a farm stand near where I landed for fresh produce, at Peachblow Farm for strawberries, at Morningside to thank Rhett, at Ramunto's to get dinner, at Ryan's house, and at Lake Sunapee to get ice cream.

Although it was a short flight, it was fun way to stay cool on a sweltering summer afternoon.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:55, Distance 18.9 miles

No comments: