Thursday, July 01, 2010

Playing Hooky

Last Friday was a good day to "play hooky".  It was the only day last week that looked good for flying.  We even had too many pilots for our eastern Massachusetts carpool; Jeff and Peter ended up driving alone to Mount Ascutney while John, Randy, and I rode north in Rodger's car.

Doug, Jake, Jeff B, Jeff C, PK, and Randy waited for us and then Jake gave everyone a ride to the top in his truck.  Thanks Jake!

Jake

Although John pointed out the obvious cumulus in front of the mountain, the rest of the sky didn't inspire confidence.  Oh, the buzzards and butterflies flapping their wings didn't help either.



Pat showed up and no one objected when Jake asked if anyone minded Pat rigging and launching first.  Jeff, Randy, and I helped Pat rig and then Jake give Pat a full site introduction and talked him through his first launch off "the rock".  Pat's good launch even got applause from the spectators!  Although Pat didn't soar very long, he flew through enough lift to get us going.

Ryan and Steve helped me and many other pilots launch; thanks guys!  The first three pilots (Jeff B, Greg, and Jon) immediately rocketed skyward, but the next three (me, PK, and Peter) had to hang on for the next ride out.


PK and I grabbed the "next bus out of town" and left the mountain about 2000 feet (600m) lower than the first group, but I was anxious to catch them.  I had a good climb over the river and then detoured to the south to spiral-up under a cloud shading Claremont NH.  A sailplane joined the climb.  (I found out later it was Mark Herman, a Connecticut pilot).


Jeff B got separated from the first group when he got low near Newport NH.  PK and I caught up with Greg and Jon as we approached Lake Sunapee.


I slowed down once I caught the early group and got nice and high before crossing the lake.  I didn't want to race since I did plenty of that at the East Coast Championship.  I waited for the other pilots to lead out, but alas they wouldn't budge!


I took off for a line of clouds to the north, but instead of going to the closest I angled to the northeast hoping to skip a climb.  That didn't work out very well and I was soon relatively low and working back upwind to get a climb so I could float over all the trees that surround Mount Kearsarge.


Greg and PK were a climb ahead of me by the time I reached Mount Kearsarge but I quickly raced to the north to join their climb.  They took off to the northeast before I could climb to them, but it was just as well.  I wanted to head southeast so I could have an easier time finding landing areas on the other side of the Merrimack River.  John came in below me a couple thousand feet as I headed out.

I listened to Greg and PK get low around the river at Tilton NH and then start shopping for LZs.  I crossed the river high and was about half way to the raceway at Laconia when I noticed hundreds of sparkling lights reflecting off the parking lots.  Um.  I asked if anyone knew if something was happening at the track.  Jeff B came back laughing, "... nothing but NASCAR race week!"  Dang.

I was stretched out over a lot of trees and wanted to use the raceway parking as a possible LZ if I didn't find a climb.  I couldn't see any other acceptable fields so I made a hard turn back to the northwest where the sky was blue.  Since Greg and PK had just landed to the east of there, I didn't like my chances of getting a climb.  I was down to 3500 feet (1000m) when I arrived over potential LZs.  I played with several weak climbs but soon resigned to land.

I was disappointed but cheered up with I spotted a pond in the middle of a mown field.  Nothing like skimming through the water on final to sooth the sting of landing before you are ready.  I was planning my approach when I noticed some deer in the field.  That's odd.  Then I noticed a lot more deer.  That's really odd.  Um.  Must be some sort of game preserve or something.  Sigh.  No landing there which meant no pond skimming either.  Bummer.

I flew a bit to the southwest to a nice looking farm up in the hills a bit.  I noticed someone raking hay and considered landing there, but opted for an already cleaned field.  The field sloped down hill into the light wind and was surrounded by tall trees, but I was ready for the challenge!  I came in very low over the tree line and floated a long way across and down the field before landing on the tractor tracks that I used as my "spot".  It felt good pulling off a no-step landing in a challenging LZ.



I walked the glider over to a shade tree along a drive way and was soon greeted by Sterling, the man I saw raking hay.  He was very welcoming and we started chatting.


Sterling told me I landed at Corliss Farm, in Northfield NH.  He also told me the "deer" I saw were elk being raised for meat.  Even more reason to be glad I didn't land there!

I wish I had taken pictures from the air before landing so I had something to share.  After getting tips on good mountain biking trails in the area, I started packing while Sterling went off "rock picking".

It was about dusk when John, Randy, and Rodger showed up to take me home.  (Thanks guys).  Randy had an express ride down the backside of the mountain in light rotor.  John landed near Lake Sunapee, and Rodger landed outside Claremont.  Jeff C got a good flight on his new glider.  Jon landed near the river in Franklin NH and Jeff B landed in Warner NH.

It was indeed a good day to play hooky.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:45, Distance: 48 miles

2 comments:

Randy said...

Great post. I like the camera angle. I believe the light rotor was more like a giant vermont cow standing on my wing...

Lee M. said...

Hi Tom, Yes, great post. The pictures really highlight the scarcity of LZ’s. I particularly enjoyed the views of Mount Kearsarge from altitude and tried to find the location of my first tree “landing” in ‘78. It looks like the Juniper Patch, the old primary LZ there, is completely grown in. Glad you had an uneventful landing.