Sunday, June 08, 2014

Down the Drain

Although the weather looked better near home at Hang Glide New England, since Amy and I spent the night at Morningside, I restricted my choices to something closer.  A large contingent of pilots, including a couple pilots hoping for their first mountain flights, were headed to West Rutland.  Even though the chances of soaring were limited, I decided to join in for the socializing.

Amy and I rode up to launch with Mark Getty after schmoozing with arriving pilots in the pit below.  Initially I thought we might have a good day after all but hopes dimmed as thick cirrus streamed across the sky.

Mike Holmes was the first to launch as he took his first mountain flight on a paraglider.  Most of the crowd on top watched his flight, including the weak bubbles of lift he circled in over the LZ.  Daisy really boosted the spirits of pilots when she found a climb over the LZ and worked her way back up.

Alex, John Gallagher, and Daisy were in the air and John Sillero was on the ground when I stepped up to launch.  The winds were bubbly and crossing from the right (west) so I had to wait for a launchable cycle.  By the time I launched, everyone else was on the ground.


I had the most uninspiring flight possible.  Not a single bit of altitude gain on the entire flight.  6 minutes start to finish.

I was even more depressed when I saw Max Kotchouro launch after me and also sink out.  It was not his weekend!  I continued to watch pilots sled to the fields below.  The only "excitement" was watching a PG pilot safely land in the trees on the north side of the highway.

Amy drove Mark's truck down and we were soon on our way back to Morningside.  We decided to drive home instead of spending another evening.  Good thing, since we found several hundred carpenter ants had moved in while we were away.

It was a good day for socializing, but not such a good day for soaring or camping.  We heard the flying was "dreamy good" back at home.  Figures.

Max posted a video of Mike's flight and John Sillero's flight.  John Gallagher posted a video of the early launches, his first flight, and then some questionable late launches and an evening glass off flight.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:06

No comments: