Sunday, April 07, 2019

Florida Wildlife Adventure

Sometimes the adventure starts after you land.  Today's flight was like that.

We launched early since the clouds looked good and we worried the outflow from Lake Okeechobee would wash the thermals away by early afternoon.  Yuri, Kelton, and John G launched before me.  Yuri stayed airborne awhile but was on the ground before I launched, while the other two drifted away.  Neil pulled me to 600m where I found a weak climb and started floating westward in an east-southeast wind.

Since I didn't want to blow downwind and end my flight early due to controlled airspace along the coast, I kept pushing crosswind to the north whenever possible.

Shared a nice long climb with a bald eagle north of LaBelle, helping each other find the best lift.  I was disappointed that our paths lead in opposite directions once we reached the top.

I needed a climb to get over a large swath of trees and swamp at the Babcock Ranch Preserve.  Found bits of lift but nothing solid enough to risk venturing over inhospitable terrain.  Even as preparing to land in a huge field, mother nature teased me with chunks of lift; enough to stay in the air but not enough to get up and away.

I landed in a nearly perfect field.


It needed just one thing; access!  The closest road was 7.25 km (4.5 miles) away.  Undaunted, I packed up and started walking north.  I soon discovered the road was flooded with at least a meter of water filled with fish, wading birds, and probably alligators.  Time for plan B.

I backtracked 0.8 km (0.5 miles) and tried the road along the west edge of the field.  Getting to the corner was difficult due to holes dug by wild boar that recently filled with water.  Once again the road disappeared into flooded forest.  The road on the other side of the fence looked marginally better so I crossed the fence and started walking.

I soon came across large cat tracks.  Maybe a very large bobcat or a panther.  Since the rain washed everything clean 2 days ago, I knew the tracks were fresh.  I search for a club before continuing.

The water gradually became deeper until none of the road or surrounding area was above water.  That is when I saw a small 1 meter (3 foot) alligator swimming away from me ahead.  I found another large stick and continued.

I had hoped the ground would rise ahead, but I rounded a small curve and saw nothing but flooded forest.  Sigh.  No turning around, time to press on.  I came to a flooded fence corner where I perfected the delicate act of climbing over barbed wire fence while not injuring myself or dropping my pack into the water.  In this next section, where small sections were above water, I spooked two white tailed deer in separate locations, saw where a large alligator had crossed my path, startled several wild boar that were enjoying their wallow, and flushed a large group of turkeys.

I was so happy when a dry pasture finally loomed ahead.  I saw two dung beetles rolling a jaw-breaker size ball of dung across the cow path I was following.  They were going to dine like kings tonight!  I spooked my second flock of turkeys and then approached 40-50 beef cows.  A large Charolais bull stood about 10 meters (10 yards) away from my path along the fence.  The cows ran and bellowed, but the bull stood his ground.  I continued approaching (with my two sticks), but we both maintained our cool as I slowly walked by as the cows positioned the bull between them and me.

I thought my wildlife adventure was complete when I saw a very large wild sow with piglets and a couple friends heading across the field towards a grove of trees where I was also heading.  No way am I going to tangle with a mama and her babies in trees.  So I headed west around the boar and then continued north.

I left the pasture, and the wild boar behind, only to come across a very nice airstrip in the middle of nowhere.


At least I wasn't walking through swamps!  Shortly past the airstrip, which didn't really have an access road, I emerged along Route 74 and in a few minutes Dave and Subodh drove up after waiting for me to escape.  We drove east to pick up John, who was sitting at a bar, and then back to LaBelle to get Dan.

I'll sleep well tonight.

Flight summary is available on Leonardo.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:10, Distance: 31 km

1 comment:

Ainef said...

What a great adventure!! Nice recap Tom!