Friday, April 05, 2019

Lemonade

The day started slow and was predicted to end quickly with showers and thunderstorms.  We still managed short flights north to the Placid Lakes Airport.

George launched and flew away while others had short flights back to the towline.  I got a high tow, released almost at noon, climbed to base, and headed north.  Base was relatively low as I ventured into the "adventure country" we affectionately call the "triangle of doom".  I wasn't happy when I found myself low in the middle and without an obvious climb.  However, the universe smiled and provide the lift I needed to get up and away.

Approaching Palmdale north of the triangle, I spotted George approaching from the east.  We were briefly in the same area, but I kept moving on as he tanked up.

I cautiously watched a cumulus tower in front of me before it died and shaded the ground.  I tip-toed through that area and then pushed further west to avoid more ominous looking clouds directly north.  Those clouds, now east-northeast of me started dumping rain.  I kept pushing west around them until I noticed a cloud north of me was also looking too energetic.  Since my path was blocked to the north, I decided to land at the airport.


Airfield (right center)

Southeast

North

Deciding to land was easy, getting down wasn't.  I searched for sink, then pulled big ears, and then started spiraling down.  Added to the show, was a yellow turbo-prop ag plane landing, refilling, and taking off.  It took persistent effort and a watchful eye to get safely on the ground.

I was packing on the mowed green lawn when I heard Dave on approach.  Hearing my comments about abundant lift, he went on glide assuming he would climb all the way in.  Unfortunately, he didn't and landed off the south end of the runway.

As I was checking the best route away from the airport, I heard John overhead.  Like me, he had problems avoiding lift.  In addition, a weak outflow from the showers to the east had swung the wind 90-degrees cross to the runway.  John landed like a pro and began packing as the showers from the north approached.

John and I were huddled under a tree when those showers arrived as a pickup pulled over and the driver started giving us grief.  Turned out the driver saw Dave huddled in the rain, picked him up, and came to rescue us.  Of course, Dave prompted him to hassle us.  Thanks Dave.  ;-)

Our new best friend, Todd, has a house/hanger on the field and invited us in to wait out the rain.  We talked about flying and all types of adventures.  We hung out there until Dan and Subodh showed up with the van.  After we said farewell to Todd, we jumped in and headed a north to pick up George who threaded the needle between the two showers and landed dry.

We drove back in pouring rain congratulating ourselves for making lemonade from a day that was such a lemon.

Flight details available on Leonardo.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:12, Distance: 57 km

No comments: