Thursday, June 08, 2006

ECC (Day 5)

Although it rained a little last night, everyone was ready to fly today even though the sun was blocked by thick cirrus and the national weather service forecast was calling for a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. I suspect it was the light winds and no apparent rain on horizon. Alex and Yuri set up first then Bo, Bubba, and I rigged our gliders. Soon everyone was stuffing battens.

We called a 38 mile triangle task that was crossing downwind, upwind, and a short crosswind back to the airport. We set the launch for 12:30, but pushed it back 30 minutes when nothing was soaring, not even the buzzards. Bo was ready to go again at 1:00 and the task committee decided not to push the clock back again since we didn’t think anything would change for the better or worse. The first gaggle circled down to 800 feet while I waited on the ground. Davis, Bubba, Jamie, and I launched as the gaggle started to slowly climb. I found a light climb and was soon drifting down wind towards the start circle. The big question for me was should I try to stay in the start circle or should I blow off the start time and go for only distance points. It soon became apparent everyone else was going for the distance points. I decided to head back to the start circle 1.75 miles upwind when everyone else went downwind. The day was probably too weak for such a “bold” move, but I wasn’t going to play it safe and I used up my altitude getting a valid start time.

I was low before finding a weak climb. Soon Bo and I hooked up and we shared most of the trip towards the first turn point. Bo moved on and I stayed to climb close to cloud base since I previously found stronger lift there. Once near base, I had an easy time reaching the first turn point and caught the pilots that “skipped” the start time. It was nice having company on the tough upwind leg. We finally dove into a shaded area with no cummies. We were getting dangerously low when Jeff found a weak climb to my left and Davis was working a climb slightly ahead of me. I decided to join Davis since he was further along course line. I never really connected with a good climb, but was still maintaining or climbing while several other pilots were landing below me. Sun was now shining on the course line ahead and decided to wait for something to happen. I grew impatient and left the climb for some birds circling down wind. Oops. That didn’t work and I couldn’t find the previous climb I had. Dang. I pushed on and landed along course line without making a single turned before flaring. I landed in a huge corn field next to a dirt road. (My flight is available online).

I watched Davis and Jeff slowly climb out and then move on the cummies that formed over the sunny areas. They had the final turn point once they left my landing area and would be the only two to make goal. Drew and the group arrived even before I had the glider packed up. We were soon back at the airport swapping flying stories about a day that originally looked so bleak but turned out to be fun.

Many of the pilots went to dinner at an Italian restaurant in Greensboro. We had a fun time taking over the place. We came back to the airport and watched thunderstorms roll through the area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, YOu are DEFINITELY not missing anything up here. Is Jeff O'brien the guy from Quest who had his honeymoon there? From out west somewhere? PK