Monday, June 05, 2006

ECC (Day 2)


I awoke to sprinkles falling on the tent this morning. The sky was still cloudy when the task committee met and was still overcast after the pilots’ meeting. However, the forecast said it would be good, so we setup under the cloudy skies. On cue, the sky started clearing just before the launch window opened. After a single 30-minute delay we started following the tugs to the low cloud base at 2000 feet.

I took some pictures while I was waiting for the start gate to open. I got a picture of Davis in his ATOS, Bubba and Paul in their flex wings, and a shot of the airport. After bouncing around at cloud base for 30 minutes, Bubba and I started gliding for the start circle and got our point within the start circle just before the clock turned over; I wish all my starts were this good!

The first climb was good and then we went on a nice long glide at cloud base. I thought we might get the first turn point, which was to the north north-east, without another turn. However we dove into the shadowed area and didn’t find anything exciting. After some snooping around, most of the gaggle reformed in a pathetic climb with Bo and Davis at the top. Bo and Davis snagged the turn point and returned to our climb about the time that Greg D, Bubba, and I started our glide to the turn point about 2.5 miles away. Greg and I found some textured air near the turn point and started searching at 1400 feet. Bubba and Jeff just kept going while Greg and I spent 400 looking for something that wasn’t there. I followed a couple of pilots below me to a crop field that had something trickling up. I search around with occasional climbs until I was down to 650 feet. I finally just cruised along the road and landed next to Lauren.

Greg, Bubba, and Jeff all flew further than I did by not fumbling with the weak lift. I wasn’t ready to cash my altitude into distance so I struggled to the ground. Davis and Bo showed us how it was supposed to be done by completing the course. Drew had us back to the air port before Bo arrived. I took some pictures of Bo’s approach and landing.

The flight is available online. It will not last, but I am actually leading the flex-wing class after two days. Probably see snow in the Sahara and palm trees in Antarctica tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you're still MY hero! HAHAHAHAHA Good job Tom. PK

Anonymous said...

GO TOM!!! Glad to hear a New England pilot is doing well.

Tom Lanning said...

Thanks!