Thursday, June 22, 2006

Test Flight

I returned to Morningside early Saturday evening after spending the day “wandering” around Vermont with Amy. Before I could say “hello”, Jeff asked me to test fly PK’s recently rebuilt glider. Um, ok! Since Peter’s glider is a Litespeed 3 and I normally fly a Litespeed 4, I tossed out everything in my harness except the parachute in a vain attempt to reduce my wing loading.

A thunderstorm had passed through the area an hour earlier so the runway was soaking wet, which meant that I would soon be wet as well. It was fun watching the tug’s prop blast water off the grass as we started our roll out. As we climbed and turned towards the setting sun I was treated to very sweet sight. Every valley had fog rising and gently drifting to the north. The moving white fog shined brightly against the dark shadows of each ridge line. This pattern repeated itself as far as I could see to the west. Power pilots probably see this all the time, but I rarely fly my hang glider after thunderstorms at sunset!

I released before the use of oxygen become necessary. (Thanks for the tall tow Rhett!) I did the usual check-out routine and determined the glider was just fine. I was enjoying the scenery some more when I noticed Mark was climbing in one of Rob’s trikes. I zipped over towards him and positioned myself above and behind him in his blind spot. I could tell he was looking for me, but I kept hidden until the last minute. I then zoomed down over his wing and did “full colors” wing over to his right. (Mark later said he knew I was around but not where until a large shadow passed over his sail.) We flew some sharp tight spirals together and then headed back to the field.

I setup to land at the same time as Mark. I made it obvious I was going to land on the bull’s eye across the road from the runway. We were both on long parallel finals with Mark to my right. I just couldn’t resist some more play. I turned directly towards his approach path, but kept my helmet facing away from him towards my LZ. Mark couldn’t see my eyes under the visor and therefore didn’t know I knew exactly where he was. I could see Mark starting to get nervous, wondering if I knew he was there. Just when Mark looked like he was going to alter his path I waved and did a lazy wing over back towards my LZ. I landed short in the LZ, but it was worth it.

Not a bad way to do someone a favor”. Got any more gliders that need a test flight?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my glider you were playing RedBaron in!!! Glad you had fun and thanks. PK