Friday, March 21, 2014

Baffled

Although not as promising as Wednesday or Thursday, Friday also looked like a good day for sightseeing at Wallaby Ranch.  I planned to fly to Groveland and back since I didn't have a driver.  The day started later, but once it started blooming, it was calling all soaring pilots to go play.

Tommy launched first and struggled low over the field after getting off tow prematurely.  He landed and got back in line for another go.  He soon announced his position a climb or two away as I was on tow behind Fay.  I watched Mitch leave as I parked at base waiting for others.  After flying back to the field and seeing no one above 2000 feet (900 m) I turned around and headed northwest on course line in a light crossing downwind.


The climbs were predictable and strong.  The first thermal was 500 fpm (2.5 m/s), the second around 650 (3.3 m/s), and the third a robust 900 fpm (4.5 m/s).


Everything was going along according to plan ... until it wasn't.  I left cloud base with Groveland within easy reach (1500 feet over best glide) but found nothing but smooth sinking air.


I embarrassingly announced on the radio that I was probably going to land.  I picked a field and was making a last ditch cruise around the edge when I noticed Mitch on base into the same field.  Moments later I was standing on the ground next to him totally baffled as to what had just happened!


Mitch and I talked through possible scenarios but essentially came up empty.  We watched Mike Barber carefully pass overhead and found out later he almost made it back.  The only person that made the full round trip was Tommy.


Meanwhile Mitch and I were getting ready to file "change of address kits" with the U.S. Postal service.  Finally Mitch talked with Jim Prahl who, in Johnny's truck, gave us a lift to Quest Air where we could wait with something other than crickets for company.  (Thanks Jim!)  Mark gave me a complete tour of the recent renovations, while we waited for our possible drivers to land.

Jason hopped into my car and fetched us after he flew for most of the afternoon.  (Thanks Jason!) We returned to a full-on pizza party at the ranch and discussed our baffling misfortune with anyone that would listen.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:06, Distance: 17 miles (27 km)

No comments: