Thursday, March 20, 2014

Grounded by the President

I arrived at Wallaby Ranch around 1:30 AM Wednesday morning after driving 21.5 hours non-stop.  I crawled into the new Aliner camper I dragged south from Massachusetts and quickly feel asleep.

Unlike the 10F (-12C) temperature I left at home, it was warm and sunny when I awoke to the sound of Dragonfly tugs at 8:00 AM.  Everyone was excited by the promising forecast but I decided to stay earthbound knowing that Thursday would also be a good day.  My resolve to remain responsibly on the ground was tested when Mike Barber informed me that President Obama was flying into the area on Thursday and that we would be grounded between 11:00 AM and 4:15 PM.  Maturity won out even as I watched gliders circle overhead for hours.

We sat on the ground staring at gorgeous cummies as we sang the "president grounded me" blues Thursday afternoon.  Although we feared the FAA would extend the TFR past 4:15 due to scheduling delays, by 4:30 we were convinced it was safe to take off.

I was hoping, at best, to have a "one and done", a single thermal climb, before the day shut down.  However, the day was anything but that.  We were all treated to a couple hours of weak, smooth, and abundant lift; just what I needed after 6 months on the ground.

Paul dropped me off in a lazy climb over the field that eventually went to cloud base.  From there I headed west where I shared a climb with Johnny Durand, Brooks Ellison, and a upset feathered friend.

Johnny and friend


I played at base in pillow thermals with old- and soon-to-be friends.


Brooks

I was about to land when I found a 30 fpm (0.15 m/s) climb back to base.  I used my reprieve to glide through the buttery air and smell the orange blossoms wafting towards the sky.



I topped off the flight with a no-step landing in front of an appreciative audience.


I captured some video during the flight.


Flights: 1, Duration: 1:55

2 comments:

Pat said...

Awesome Blog Tom!

skydog said...

Thanks for the report Tom
Bob