Monday, March 31, 2014

Shaded

As flying fate dictates, the weather turned on Monday once most pilots left after the Wills Wings Demo Days at Wallaby Ranch.  The day started with crystal blue skies but started filling with scattered cirrus around noon.  We were slow to get going, but after looking at the visible satellite image I decided to launch instead of waiting for the day to get worse.

I didn't pay too much attention to the sky, so I was shocked at how dark it was once I cleared the tree line on launch.  Noticing that the top-of-climb (marked by a truncated column of smoke) was below tow height also sent fears of sledders through my spine.


I grabbed the first bit of lift I found and hung on.  It soon became apparent there was abundant but weak lift around.  However, since the top-of-climb was low, a bad glide could easily put you on the ground.

I spent the afternoon flying with friends ...




... and locals.




I kept looking up at Linda during the flight, but managed to hang on to get the last laugh by being the final one to land.



Here is a short video from the flight.



Flights: 1, Duration: 2:06

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God you land well Tom! Good luck for the comp in Georgia!

Francois ( Phantom, Montréal)