Sunday, May 03, 2009

Flytec Rally (Day 1)

Spent 5.5 hours in the air today flying from the Florida Ridge in southern Florida to Quest Air in mid-state Florida.  Kevin, Patrick and I, along with a couple other pilots, had a nearly perfect start today drifting through the start circle at cloud base seconds after the start gate opened.


Kevin, Campbell and I got an early jump on most of the pack and were opening up a good lead when I hit crushing sink south of Lake Placid.  I was under 1000 feet (300 m) for the longest time as I drifted from field to field trying to get back up.  After everyone passed by I got a slow climb that got me back into the game.  Once I was running at cloud base again I started gaining on the other trailing pilots.  The sky between Wallaby Ranch and Quest Air was shaded from convergence clouds and it claimed several pilots including Patrick.  I found a slow climb about 15 miles (24 km) out that got me high enough to cruise in.  I was slow, but I got there.


Flights: 1, Time: 5:31, Distance: 126 miles

No comments: